Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Impact Factor

Is this a new path for success in neurosurgery? I’m skeptical, but it seems like we’ve added or allowed a ‘fourth estate’ if you will. You can enter or advance in neurosurgery if you have a large social footprint.

Not a good development in my opinion.
I think the issue is somewhat circular (for now) - which came first: twitter followers or prominence in academia? For now, I would guess that it is the later. I would also say that an r^2 of 0.12 is virtually meaningless. Yes, statistically significant but not scientifically significant. If people thought this was a great or interesting result it would have ended up in the red or white journals - which I would be it was submitted to and summarily rejected from. Still a fun read.

I would also say that this is no different that prior people in "organized neurosurgery" who were neither good clinicians nor successful scientists. There will always be people that play the game because they think that's important.
The title of the paper is: "The top 100 social media influencers in neurosurgery on Twitter."

And the authors say that the social media factor should be considered when making hiring decisions and appointments.

This is not a satirical publication, mind you.

Seems like neurosurgery is going to shit.

also, most of this twitter posting is just social justice virtual signaling from over-privileged academics. the future of neurosurgery is BLEAK
“There’s a new arm of academia and it’s called #digitalacademia - embrace or lose an opportunity to educate, innovate and collaborate.”

Ali A. Baaj MD
@AliBaajMD

https://twitter.com/AliBaajMD/status/150...0750429187

Indeed. The future is bright!
Am I missing something? What is the innovation being provided via Twitter posts?
(03-29-2022, 06:14 AM)Guest Wrote: Am I missing something? What is the innovation being provided via Twitter posts?

We’ve given up clipping aneurysms so we can retweet and share our cherry-picked cases and papers.

One upside to Twitter is it gives applicants some idea of programs in the Covid era.
Fwiw we are talking about people with a few thousand followers. Something to build on but certainly not a patient magnet.
It seems like a good way to connect professionally but I doubt it would be something they got you that key job. Used improperly, of course, it could knock you out of a job!
I see these M3s “introducing” themselves on Twitter and I’m enraged tbh lol. Going to remember them in a bad way.
(03-29-2022, 11:47 AM)Guest Wrote: I see these M3s “introducing” themselves on Twitter and I’m enraged tbh lol. Going to remember them in a bad way.

Why are you enraged?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)