Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best clinical / Hands on Residencies?
Which programs have you guys seen / heard of that have good amounts of resident autonomy / opportunities to actually operate as opposed to watching the attending operate?

A lot of the “top tier” programs seem to be more about academics and less about the surgically experience
The UCLA residents have great autonomy. I was very impressed at the amount they go to do on my sub-I! And as a result, most of the residents let the students do a lot in the OR.
USC, Emory, Barrow, UCSF, Pitt, among others
In general, it seems like places affiliated with private groups (ex. Barrow, Indiana, UT Memphis) give their residents lots of autonomy. Same goes for places where residents rotate through county hospitals (ex. Baylor, Emory, Miami, USC). Other examples that come to mind are Pitt, UAB, and Vanderbilt, among others.
Henry ford, Detroit medical, Cincinnati, rush, Illinois.

tons of mid west programs
I agree, the private groups are well known for their clinical training and the autonomy they give residents
-Barrow
-Tennessee
-Indiana
-Carolinas

Other places that have good reputation for clinical training and/or autonomy:
-UCSF
-Pitt
-Washington
-USC
-NYU
-Emory
-Baylor
-Miami
Buffalo
I agree with this list.

(10-17-2017, 07:15 PM)Guest Wrote: I agree, the private groups are well known for their clinical training and the autonomy they give residents
-Barrow
-Tennessee
-Indiana
-Carolinas

Other places that have good reputation for clinical training and/or autonomy:
-UCSF
-Pitt
-Washington
-USC
-NYU
-Emory
-Baylor
-Miami
So what are you saying?
That if you don't train at one of these places, you won't be a good surgeon?
(10-18-2017, 07:36 AM)Guest Wrote: So what are you saying?
That if you don't train at one of these places, you won't be a good surgeon?

I don't think that is the intended meaning of the post and the comments. If you have rotated at your home institution and completed at least one Sub-I, you will see that there are obvious disparities in surgical skill among residents of the same PGY between institutions, also within the same institution.

Some of this is due to the actual set-up of the residency training and when residents go through various rotations, and some of it has to do with the climate of the residency program (rigid hierarchy vs. early autonomy vs. mixed bag).

But, the reality is that every program must graduate residents with minimal competencies. One thing that I noticed was that even if there was disparity between skills level at PGY2-6, there was a nearly complete leveling-out of skill sets and confidence in the PGY7s across institutions. 

At a given institution, you may see more spine or you may see more tumor etc - so you'll be more comfortable in some arenas obviously. But you'll end up as a good surgeon no matter where you train.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)