Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 2 CK
How important would you say the Step 2 CK score is (for US graduates)? I have had people tell me (in neurosurgery) that it's not all that important, especially if you aren't trying to make up for a lower than average Step 1 score. However, the 2016 NRMP program director survey has it listed within the top 5 ranked importance for getting an interview, but later on the majority states they are only looking for a passing score on Step 2 CK. That being said, there was only a 30.5% response rate from neurosurgery program directors, and so I'm looking for some additional feedback and information. (I understand this is likely somewhat program-dependent as well, based on the survey responses.) Source: 2016 NRMP Program Director Survey pages 58-64
I'd like to hear more about this as well. Conventional wisdom (not specific to NSG, but across the board) has always been if you have a less than impressive score take it early, if you have a great score you can put it off. I've heard from several people on the trail this year that were yet to take Step 2CK that their step scores (1 or 2) were NEVER brought up at interviews. Anecdotal, of course, but just adding to the info pool.

My concern is that I have a very average (for NSG) score of 245-250, so it seems less clear if I should try to take it early or late, or just whenever it's most convenient.
In my experience it isn't important if your Step 1 is good. I had >250 step 1 and no step 2CK and I got 35 interview invites several at top schools, Sent my CK after interviews and before rank lists were due since I ended up doing well on that too. That seems to be the general pattern I've heard.
(02-05-2017, 03:15 PM)dispo Wrote: I'd like to hear more about this as well. Conventional wisdom (not specific to NSG, but across the board) has always been if you have a less than impressive score take it early, if you have a great score you can put it off. I've heard from several people on the trail this year that were yet to take Step 2CK that their step scores (1 or 2) were NEVER brought up at interviews. Anecdotal, of course, but just adding to the info pool.

My concern is that I have a very average (for NSG) score of 245-250, so it seems less clear if I should try to take it early or late, or just whenever it's most convenient.

I was in the same boat as you. Same step 1 score. Took ck early scored 265+.  It was only brought up once and it was by residents. Don't think it can really help but more so hurt you if you underperform.
(02-27-2017, 09:03 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 03:15 PM)dispo Wrote: I'd like to hear more about this as well. Conventional wisdom (not specific to NSG, but across the board) has always been if you have a less than impressive score take it early, if you have a great score you can put it off. I've heard from several people on the trail this year that were yet to take Step 2CK that their step scores (1 or 2) were NEVER brought up at interviews. Anecdotal, of course, but just adding to the info pool.

I was in the same boat as you. Same step 1 score. Took ck early scored 265+.  It was only brought up once and it was by residents. Don't think it can really help but more so hurt you if you underperform.

Thanks for the response. I was much more concerned with the possibility of underperforming from having to rush and fit in into a tight schedule, so I think I'll continue with my current plan and not sweat trying to do it early.
An improvement on Step 2 can remove doubts for a sub optimal Step 1. A drop on Step 2 can be a red flag.
(02-27-2017, 08:52 PM)socrates Wrote: An improvement on Step 2 can remove doubts for a sub optimal Step 1.  A drop on Step 2 can be a red flag.

If you have a lower Step 1 (I'm taking it in about a month - hopefully I won't be in this position but for the sake of argument) and a high Step 2, would your higher Step 2 help you be considered or would you be screened out for a low Step 1 before they even saw your Step 2 score? 

(I understand this could very well be program specific.)
(02-27-2017, 08:52 PM)socrates Wrote: An improvement on Step 2 can remove doubts for a sub optimal Step 1.  A drop on Step 2 can be a red flag.

@socrates, would you consider a score in that range (245-250) sub-optimal? Just curious to see if you personally think I could benefit from an improved step 2. I can see a 220s needing to improve, and a 260 not needing to worry, but I feel like I'm kinda in this gray area of "pretty good" in terms of my score. Thanks!
(02-27-2017, 10:06 PM)dispo Wrote:

@socrates, would you consider a score in that range (245-250) sub-optimal? Just curious to see if you personally think I could benefit from an improved step 2. I can see a 220s needing to improve, and a 260 not needing to worry, but I feel like I'm kinda in this gray area of "pretty good" in terms of my score. Thanks!

It seems the average lately has been 245-250.  While I would not define that as sub-optimal, > 250 would be optimal.  I'd say < 240 is sub optimal.
(02-27-2017, 09:59 PM)SylvianAqueduct Wrote:

If you have a lower Step 1 (I'm taking it in about a month - hopefully I won't be in this position but for the sake of argument) and a high Step 2, would your higher Step 2 help you be considered or would you be screened out for a low Step 1 before they even saw your Step 2 score? 

(I understand this could very well be program specific.)

Generally, the rest of your application is taken in to consideration.  Say Step 1 is the anomaly and the rest of your application is steller, including a dynomite Step 2, then the Step somewhat explained away.  Will this truly offset it, no.  Likewise, many programs use Step 1 as a screening tool.  For the most part, all applications get at least a cursory glance by a faculty committee.  That being said, they may well scan the applications for specifics e.g. Step > 1 xxx, pubs, letters from places, etc.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)