Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Gentlemen's" Programs
I've heard MGH and Stanford described as gentlemen's programs, where there may be lower clinical volume/workload and greater focus on academic pursuits, particularly basic science. 

Are there other programs that fit this bill?
Does anyone else find the term "gentlemen's program" a little strange?

Why not just use the term academic? "Gentlemen's program" comes off as archaic and gender exclusive to most people I talk to outside the field.
(12-15-2017, 12:19 PM)Guest Wrote: Does anyone else find the term "gentlemen's program" a little strange?

Why not just use the term academic? "Gentlemen's program" comes off as archaic and gender exclusive to most people I talk to outside the field.

Uhh maybe because gentlemen's programs =/= academic? UCSF is academic, would you consider that a gentlemen's program? Also thank god most people in neurosurgery are conservative and don't put up with the liberalism pushed by most med schools nowadays.
Ideally there would be a better term— have to agree that gentlemen's is not the same as academic. UCSF is likely the best example of this. 

Are there other places that fit description outlined by OP?
(12-15-2017, 12:19 PM)Guest Wrote: Does anyone else find the term "gentlemen's program" a little strange?

Same reason it's a gentleman's stitch and not a buddy stitch.. Take your sjw bullshit back to pediatrics.
(12-15-2017, 12:19 PM)I️ Guest Wrote: Does anyone else find the term "gentlemen's program" a little strange?

No one wants to work with a SJW, get outa here
It’s honestly so satisfying to see these naïve snowflakes grow up. Once they work ball busting, 120 hour weeks for 3 years with their chiefs and patients screaming at them and never seeing their family they suddenly realize they don’t want democrat-pushed single payer healthcare where neurosurgeons earn 250K with a shitty job market like in Canada. Gets me every time.
(12-15-2017, 04:38 PM)Guest Wrote: It’s honestly so satisfying to see these naïve snowflakes grow up. Once they work ball busting, 120 hour weeks for 3 years with their chiefs and patients screaming at them and never seeing their family they suddenly realize they don’t want democrat-pushed single payer healthcare where neurosurgeons earn 250K with a shitty job market like in Canada. Gets me every time.

It is satisfying if they do.  We've had a couple who were painful, reporting attending "abuse" and duty hours to the gme.  Last I heard, they are enjoying life more in radiology and psychiatry
(12-15-2017, 04:01 PM)guest12345 Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 12:19 PM)I️ Guest Wrote: Does anyone else find the term "gentlemen's program" a little strange?

No one wants to work with a sexist. No one wants their brain to be operated on by a misogynist.
(12-15-2017, 05:26 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 04:01 PM)guest12345 Wrote:

No one wants to work with a sexist. No one wants their brain to be operated on by a misogynist.

LOL. The -ists have come out. Except no one gives a shit about that, as long as you're competent. You'll soon find out that in the real world of neurosurgery outside of IM and med ed, no one has any tolerance for bullshit SJW complaints. I have yet to meet a resident like that who wasn't fired or pushed out into another field.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)