Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYC & LA
Planning to rotate in NYC and LA but can't decide which programs to pick. Any thoughts?
Give more info. Research / operative heavy/ areas within NSG etc
Operative heavy and learning experience do NYU and USC.
For academic strength and emphasis on teaching, do Columbia and UCLA
Many good programs to rotate at in both cities. UCLA and NYU are popular in both locations. USC is fantastic and has a great operative SubI up there with places like Barrow and Carolinas from what I've heard. Mount Sinai and Columbia are good options too but it only looks like Columbia takes applicants from top schools with tons of research so I wouldn't bother there unless you fit their pedigree. Don't know much about Cedars.
What is best overall in LA - USC/UCLA/Cedars? And in NYC: NYU/Sinai/Columbia/Cornell?
(02-13-2018, 02:07 PM)Guest Wrote: What is best overall in LA - USC/UCLA/Cedars? And in NYC: NYU/Sinai/Columbia/Cornell?

If you think one program, a priori, is a better fit for you, then that is the best. The consensus is that you always set yourself up for better odds of matching if you do a rotation there (while being helpful, and not annoying). 

This interview season, the hype has been hottest on NYU, Sinai, USC and UCLA. All great places though, don't stress too much - rotate somewhere, get a letter from the chair/PD, and weigh all your personal factors while on the interview trail.
(02-12-2018, 06:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Many good programs to rotate at in both cities. UCLA and NYU are popular in both locations. USC is fantastic and has a great operative SubI up there with places like Barrow and Carolinas from what I've heard. Mount Sinai and Columbia are good options too but it only looks like Columbia takes applicants from top schools with tons of research so I wouldn't bother there unless you fit their pedigree. Don't know much about Cedars.

Do you mean for away spots or for residency spots?

(02-18-2018, 05:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 06:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Many good programs to rotate at in both cities. UCLA and NYU are popular in both locations. USC is fantastic and has a great operative SubI up there with places like Barrow and Carolinas from what I've heard. Mount Sinai and Columbia are good options too but it only looks like Columbia takes applicants from top schools with tons of research so I wouldn't bother there unless you fit their pedigree. Don't know much about Cedars.

That is, regarding your comment that "it only looks like Columbia takes applicants from top schools with tons of research"
BUMP^. Any advice with regards to the best NYC and LA programs from recent sub'Is. Looking for overall best combination of operative/clinically heavy programs with good academic opportunities?

That is, regarding your comment that "it only looks like Columbia takes applicants from top schools with tons of research"

Not too sure about NY but I can speak for LA. Cedars is not even mentioned along side USC and UCLA by anyone who has been in the neurosurgery world of LA. Low operative volume, nearly 0 high quality research, high bureaucracy. Between USC and UCLA, USC is def the top dog. History of the department, prestige of faculty, surgical volume, operative experience, diversity of pathology all are far superior. Overall NIH research funding is def higher at UCLA, but there is still a lot going on academically at USC as well. Especially for residents since the department gives out R25s to the residents. Not unimportant, however, is is the reality that along with working at a county hospital (USC) comes certain challenges: operating room always running late, little to no NP/PAs to take on scut, residents are worked to the bone, pay is less. Also, living/working in Westwood (UCLA) is incomparable to living/working in Boyle Heights/Downtown LA (USC). So, like anything else, it depends on what your priorities are.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)