Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1 ave from 249 down to 245?
(07-11-2018, 01:28 PM)Trigger Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 01:15 PM)Guest Wrote: It means all you have to do with a 245/250+ Is just not fuck up.

Don’t be weird. Don’t get a bad letter. Don’t do zero research. And you’re fine.

230s- low 240s you still have to separate yourself in some way.

This. May be the best advice on this site.

So good letters and average to above average numbers on research pubs presentations? Or like something else?
(07-11-2018, 04:56 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 01:28 PM)Trigger Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 01:15 PM)Guest Wrote: It means all you have to do with a 245/250+ Is just not fuck up.

Don’t be weird. Don’t get a bad letter. Don’t do zero research. And you’re fine.

230s- low 240s you still have to separate yourself in some way.

This. May be the best advice on this site.

So good letters and average to above average numbers on research pubs presentations? Or like something else?

Something like that. The way I think about it is Step 1, letters, and research are the three most important pieces of the application (others may disagree). Step 1 and letters are roughly equivalent in terms of importance, with research being a notch below. Someone who is average to above-average in all of those categories should be able to match confidently. That said, I personally do not think being "average" in the research component means hitting the average number of publications/presentations/etc. I think programs are more interested in applicants showing an interest in and commitment to research, knowing that output will be variable. Certainly, this also differs from program to program (ie. UCSF vs. pick your clinically-focused state school). 

I also think applicants can make up for deficiencies in one of these categories with stellar performance in another. For example, a very high Step 1 and excellent letters can offset less research productivity. The opposite is also likely true, but again, keep in mind the interests of your preferred programs.
How important are clinical grades/AOA relative to Step 1, letters, and research? Honors in every rotation and AOA would surely be good, but granted that only a very limited number of students receive honors, would a 250+ step score offset not honoring in every rotation?
(07-12-2018, 06:01 PM)11262729NSG Wrote: How important are clinical grades/AOA relative to Step 1, letters, and research? Honors in every rotation and AOA would surely be good, but granted that only a very limited number of students receive honors, would a 250+ step score offset not honoring in every rotation?

Google "residency directors survery 2016" and that will answer all of your questions. Data about the importance of a variety of factors for offering and interview and ranking applicants is collected from program directors and displayed by specialty. Hope that helps!
(07-12-2018, 06:01 PM)11262729NSG Wrote: How important are clinical grades/AOA relative to Step 1, letters, and research? Honors in every rotation and AOA would surely be good, but granted that only a very limited number of students receive honors, would a 250+ step score offset not honoring in every rotation?

If you look at the NRMP match data from last year, being AOA wasn't even associated with matching. Of course it never hurts to be AOA, but clinical/preclinical grades aren't very important. It's too subjective and too variable from school to school to figure any of that stuff out. 

Step 1 = You'll be able to pass the neurosurgery boards

LoRs = people can vouch for you that you won't suck

Research = you've put in some effort and have shown that you can be productive

Everything else is just where you fit it
My new trap contract:
http://pedro.w.telrock.org
What's the 2019 match Step 1 average? Personally from my home program it looks like it's even lower than 245 this year, probably around 240-241 average.
Could it be that they're realizing that the highest step scores don't always make the best residents?!?
(05-05-2019, 01:21 PM)Guest Wrote: Could it be that they're realizing that the highest step scores don't always make the best residents?!?

I think neurosurgeons know that a high score isn't as important as it seems. You need to have a 240-250 to make some of the hard cutoffs like at Emory, Stanford, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc. I think letters and pedigree are more important than Step 1 i.e. a Hopkins/HMS/Penn/Stanford grad with letters from equivalent program chairs with a 245 will match better than a 260 no home program grad with a handful of clinical papers.
Because clearly pedigree is more important than any objective evaluation of how hard someone worked during Med school lol

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)