Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCSD
(03-29-2017, 10:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Who are contenders for the chair position here?

1. your mom
2. your sister
3. your dog
I had a great experience rotating but didn't match here. Everyone is friendly and the PD gives sub Is good face time so that's cool. The residents are friendly and helpful they'll talk to you about your situation during downtime. They're all really spread out though so you don't really get to know everyone that well. The PC is as weird as the last forum said tho. I kept getting the feeling she didn't know what I was saying. Also, she gives you nasty faces if she doesn't like what you're saying. Some sort of superiority complex on that one. The food in all the cafeterias is bad. And expensive!! So be prepared for that. There aren't a lot of opportunities for free food like at some of the other places I'd been. Idk that matters to me so figured I'd mention it. The endovascular guy was sort of pushy but also really nice and seems interested in you when he talks to you. 

Overall, not malignant at all. Didn't rank them higher for personal reasons not program reasons

(03-30-2017, 11:02 AM)Guest Wrote: I had a great experience rotating but didn't match here. Everyone is friendly and the PD gives sub Is good face time so that's cool. The residents are friendly and helpful they'll talk to you about your situation during downtime. They're all really spread out though so you don't really get to know everyone that well. The PC is as weird as the last forum said tho. I kept getting the feeling she didn't know what I was saying. Also, she gives you nasty faces if she doesn't like what you're saying. Some sort of superiority complex on that one. The food in all the cafeterias is bad. And expensive!! So be prepared for that. There aren't a lot of opportunities for free food like at some of the other places I'd been. Idk that matters to me so figured I'd mention it. The endovascular guy was sort of pushy but also really nice and seems interested in you when he talks to you. 

Overall, not malignant at all.
how does their research compare to other programs of similar "prestige"
(04-04-2017, 05:59 PM)Guest Wrote: how does their research compare to other programs of similar "prestige"

I mean, they're not particularly prestigious, so...
(04-04-2017, 06:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 05:59 PM)Guest Wrote: how does their research compare to other programs of similar "prestige"

Really? I thought they were a solid mid tier?

And fine, how about "how is their research program?"give me anything, I haven't heard much of anything about it.
(04-04-2017, 07:20 PM)Guest Wrote:

And fine, how about "how is their research program?"give me anything, I haven't heard much of anything about it.

UCSD isn't a UCSF/Hopkins-like name in research but the allure of this program is due to the superb comradery amongst residents, the unbeatable location and strong faculty mentorship. UCSD is a program you'd actually be happy as a resident at.
(04-04-2017, 11:00 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 07:20 PM)Guest Wrote:

UCSD isn't a UCSF/Hopkins-like name in research but the allure of this program is due to the superb comradery amongst residents, the unbeatable location and strong faculty mentorship. UCSD is a program you'd actually be happy as a resident at.
Are you speaking from experience? Who are good mentors there? Which faculty I mean? 

Also, I know they don't have UCSF Hopkins type research but what's the caliber of what they do have? If not is there at least anyhing fun/interesting going on?
Much of the tremendous neuroscience research community resides outside of the department but that is no deterrent for resident involvement in great research. Residents have worked at The Salk Institute, the Scripps research institute, the Sanford Burnham stem cell Institute and other such local opportunities. Bill Taylor is a great mentor in spine, Clark Chen is R01 funded and is known for high degree of academic productivity which translates into papers for residents who are involved with his laboratory, Joseph Ciacci does a lot of clinical translational stem cell research with the stem cell Institute. Most of the faculty have ties to the great scientific community in La Jolla . Khalessi runs a popular en folded endovascular fellowship with associated research opportunities. It's an easy place to do research if you're interested in basic science or clinical and translational science.
Definitely a top place if you want to do basic science, but not required. 2 full years research time. Some residents do enfolded fellowships, others spend both in lab.
Those stem cell trials look pretty neat.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)