Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCSD
"UCSD isn't a UCSF/Hopkins-like name in research"

I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not, but UCSD has a plethora of neurosciences research opportunities within the institution itself and the affiliated research institutions within walking distance from the campus. Speak with any UCSD resident or medical student and they all seem to have some affiliation with a basic sciences research lab in the neurosciences.
(04-05-2017, 05:40 PM)Guest Wrote: "UCSD isn't a UCSF/Hopkins-like name in research"

I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not, but UCSD has a plethora of neurosciences research opportunities within the institution itself and the affiliated research institutions within walking distance from the campus.  Speak with any UCSD resident or medical student and they all seem to have some affiliation with a basic sciences research lab in the neurosciences.

I'm mostly interested in clinical research trials though because theryre quicker to get pubs out of. Bench is tedious. I will say though that the trials with stem cells is innovative. Isn't Cacci also the PD? I can surmise that some of hese trials of his were crafted with the neuroscience bench researchers your taking about. A buddy of mine rotated ehre and found some of the work interesting
Actually, a clinical trial, start to finish takes as long as bench work. Paperwork vs Pipetting. Quickest pubs are administrative data set analyses but that area takes increasing creativity as a lot of low-hanging fruit has been picked off. Can you program?
(04-06-2017, 12:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Actually, a clinical trial, start to finish takes as long as bench work.  Paperwork vs Pipetting.  Quickest pubs are administrative data set analyses but that area takes increasing creativity as a lot of low-hanging fruit has been picked off.  Can you program?

Yeah I'm quite good at programming (2+ year long former"career" before I applied to med school) so you're right a lot of the good stuff has been checked out but i reckon with my skill and a good research mentor I'd be alright with creating some cool projects in that two year protected time.  There's so much left to explore (it's the field for discovery that's for sure) just gotta have the right tools, my man

(04-06-2017, 12:40 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 12:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Actually, a clinical trial, start to finish takes as long as bench work.  Paperwork vs Pipetting.  Quickest pubs are administrative data set analyses but that area takes increasing creativity as a lot of low-hanging fruit has been picked off.  Can you program?

Yeah I'm quite good at programming (2+ year long former"career" before I applied to med school) so you're right a lot of the good stuff has been checked out but i reckon with my skill and a good research mentor I'd be alright with creating some cool projects in that two year protected time.  There's so much left to explore (it's the field for discovery that's for sure) just gotta have the right tools, my man

You're right though I was lumping everything into one by saying "clinical research trials." Not quite up on my research lingo though
(04-05-2017, 05:40 PM)Guest Wrote: "UCSD isn't a UCSF/Hopkins-like name in research"

I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not, but UCSD has a plethora of neurosciences research opportunities within the institution itself and the affiliated research institutions within walking distance from the campus. Speak with any UCSD resident or medical student and they all seem to have some affiliation with a basic sciences research lab in the neurosciences.

This wasn't to insult the UCSD name in any way, I was trying to say that it doesn't have the powerhouse reputation yet. It has fantastic research going on and will continue its trend as being one of the most sought after neurosurgery residency programs.
Second that!
Anyone also hear about eskandar going over there? Not sure if he passed through the rounds but he went over to interview
Anyone going to rotate at UCSD for a Sub I this year?
So I was offered an elective for an early block but my preference is for a later block that has yet to begun processing. According to VSAS they process the dates in calendar order (all August apps, then September, October, etc) so my other apps are still pending review. Any insight on whether I should decline the current offer and hope to get the other block I want? I have personal reasons for needing to be in that rotation during a later date (but applied to multiple because I didnt know how hard it was to get an away). I've emailed both the nsg coordinator and the Visiting Students email with no response so far. Deadline to accept/decline is next Monday.
Best and most direct option is probably to talk (e-mail or call) to the program coordinator. Due to sheer volume, e-mails can get lost in the shuffle.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)