Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mississippi (UMMC) sub-i experience
I go to UMMC (but I'm not OP). This post is kinda weird, but on the whole I don't really disagree with a lot of the info. Having said that, for as long as it is, it's pretty vague, and yet so many resident/faculty/staff names are mentioned. The specific facts listed are accurate so I have to believe this person actually rotated, and knowing the residents like I do, I just can't see any of them bothering to write this. I will say that the department has been good to me and the personalities are why I kept coming back as an M1 and largely why I stuck around enough to learn about NSG and decided to pursue it. I can separately answer any specific questions anyone has if I'm able. Anyway, I think OP is genuine. Not to mention no one here would refer to any part of UMMC as "Ole Miss." That's kinda reserved for the University in Oxford, MS. Like I said, if I had to bet money I think this a genuine post from someone who enjoyed their time here and matched elsewhere. Not to mention, they didn't say UMMC was a diamond in the rough or a rival to the big name southeastern programs, they basically said the faculty and residents were nice, which I agree with.
Also, you mention: "You will be interviewed during your sub-i, but if your sub-i is early in the season you will be given the choice to come back again for an interview during the interviews season if you want (this is what happened to me)". How do you know that if you only spent a month there? Sounds like you're someone who knows the sub-i process across several months. like a resident.
Lol this is the saddest witch hunt ever. "How do you know that if you only spent a month there?" You can't even fathom a scenario where you're rotating early in the season and they say "yeah, so we typically like to interview people while they're here, but since you're here so early in the season we'll let you decide if you'd prefer to come back when you're off doing your other interviews." Maybe this person has completely pulled the wool over my eyes, but if I were a resident writing about my program and trying to paint it in a glowing light, I guess I'd try to build it up more than OP did.
Yeah, seems like way too much information to have learned in one month. Who told you all of hear details about how the program works...?

These*
(04-05-2017, 11:30 PM)Guest Wrote: Also, you mention: "You will be interviewed during your sub-i, but if your sub-i is early in the season you will be given the choice to come back again for an interview during the interviews season if you want (this is what happened to me)".  How do you know that if you only spent a month there?  Sounds like you're someone who knows the sub-i process across several months.  like a resident.

I am the original poster. To answer your question: Simply, I rotated early in the sub-i season and the Chair, who was also the program director then, gave me the option to come back for an interview because my sub-i was early. I decided to come back for a second after I got done with my interviews and my second look date was overlapping with an interview date there, so I preferred a formal interview than a second look. As I mentioned before, let's keep it positive and avoid negative thoughts.

Regarding mentioning names, I feel faculty/residents/staff treated me very well and they deserve to give them a credit for that. Most reviews include some names of faculty and staff or refer to them, so nothing abnormal here.

I am happy to answer any question to the best of my memory and before I get busy with my residency.
Congrats on matching dude. It was nice of you to try to share your thoughts on your Sub-I experience at a program that isn't otherwise mentioned on this board, but--especially on an anonymous forum--no good deed goes unpunished. FWIW, I believe you, and I wish you the best of luck.
(04-06-2017, 12:11 AM)Guest Wrote: Congrats on matching dude. It was nice of you to try to share your thoughts on your Sub-I experience at a program that isn't otherwise mentioned on this board, but--especially on an anonymous forum--no good deed goes unpunished. FWIW, I believe you, and I wish you the best of luck.

i second this, and i appreciate your honest comments on a program not many people are as familiar with. some people will just continue to troll no matter what you do/say.

-resident at a different program
(04-05-2017, 06:48 PM)Guest Wrote: How nice of that resident to write a glowing review of their own program like that.

Am I the only one that wouldn't write a glowing review of my program?  I'd give it credit where credit is due, but residency is not all sunshine and roses.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)