Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nsg applicant town hall
Do you think programs will just be more inclined to take their home kids this year?
(05-09-2020, 01:03 PM)Guest Wrote: Do you think programs will just be more inclined to take their home kids this year?

This is the big fear. How do students who do not have a home program become a "known entity" to other programs?
You don't need to physically meet residents/attendings to assess their personalities. All of that will come across in their speech and facial expressions.
Right I guess the real question then is, aren’t you more inclined to take your own kids who have spent 8 weeks on your service at that point and done research with your department in some capacity rather than an unknown?
(05-09-2020, 01:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Right I guess the real question then is, aren’t you more inclined to take your own kids who have spent 8 weeks on your service at that point and done research with your department in some capacity rather than an unknown?

This is always the case. I haven't looked at the numbers for this year, but last year around 50% of people matched at a home program or a program that they did an away at.
(05-09-2020, 01:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 01:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Right I guess the real question then is, aren’t you more inclined to take your own kids who have spent 8 weeks on your service at that point and done research with your department in some capacity rather than an unknown?

This is always the case. I haven't looked at the numbers for this year, but last year around 50% of people matched at a home program or a program that they did an away at.

And you don't think this year would be more skewed towards that already established trend?
Senior resident here from a med school with no program and from where very few have matched neurosurgery. Sucky situation. Absolute shit, and I feel for you. If I were in your shoes, I'd contact every alum from my school that went into neurosurgery and start working those contacts, especially the current residents. In fact, if I don't hear from the rising M4's from my med school, I won't think they're serious about matching this year. You have to do everything you can to earn your spot - it doesn't stop here.

I know for a fact that we'll be looking harder at all the info in the app - Step 2 CS, Dean's letter, grades, yep personal statements too. Don't slack on anything. Good luck-
Another resident here - we will definitely be looking closer at the application - Step 1 score, publication volume, letters of recommendation. Little to no weight is placed on step 2CS, an exam that is truly random, and Dean’s letters are of little value.

Just because an M4 doesn’t reach out to a current resident doesn’t mean they aren’t serious. That’s ridiculous, most people understand the common elements of a neurosurgery application and the SNS guidelines are clear
(05-10-2020, 01:56 AM)Guest Wrote: Another resident here - we will definitely be looking closer at the application - Step 1 score, publication volume, letters of recommendation. Little to no weight is placed on step 2CS, an exam that is truly random, and Dean’s letters are of little value.  

Just because an M4 doesn’t reach out to a current resident doesn’t mean they aren’t serious. That’s ridiculous, most people understand the common elements of a neurosurgery application and the SNS guidelines are clear

CK vs. Clinical grades? what do you care about more
AOA > Good CK = Honors in surgery >>> other clerkship grades

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)