Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nsg applicant town hall
Lmao so much for consensus between all programs. What the fuck is this guy thinking? https://twitter.com/maciejlesniakmd/stat...59941?s=20
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

who the fuck knows whats going on
PGY2 here. I think it will get really messy if some programs start to accept students. Then the students who do end up going probably will choose not to receive letters from their aways because doing so would blacklist them at many other programs. However, if they don't ask the Chair/PD of the away program for a letter, then that program might not think they're interested.

Personally, I believe everyone should either follow the guideline or everyone should ignore them. Having an in-between system will hurt everyone involved.
(05-01-2020, 08:34 PM)Guest Wrote: PGY2 here. I think it will get really messy if some programs start to accept students. Then the students who do end up going probably will choose not to receive letters from their aways because doing so would blacklist them at many other programs. However, if they don't ask the Chair/PD of the away program for a letter, then that program might not think they're interested.

Personally, I believe everyone should either follow the guideline or everyone should ignore them. Having an in-between system will hurt everyone involved.

I agree. Cancel subI to me makes sense due to Covid. However the policy should be more lenient with which letters can applicants use. I have been in contact w my school to set up a general surgery rotation, but with this late into the game, third year students, fourth year student making up their core rotations, general surgery applicants and ?subI, I don’t know if I can find a spot.
Yeah uhh...no one in their right mind is going to do an away at Northwestern at the risk of being blackballed at other institutions lol
(05-01-2020, 08:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 08:34 PM)Guest Wrote: PGY2 here. I think it will get really messy if some programs start to accept students. Then the students who do end up going probably will choose not to receive letters from their aways because doing so would blacklist them at many other programs. However, if they don't ask the Chair/PD of the away program for a letter, then that program might not think they're interested.

I agree. Cancel subI to me makes sense due to Covid. However the policy should be more lenient with which letters can applicants use. I have been in contact w my school to set up a general surgery rotation, but with this late into the game, third year students, fourth year student making up their core rotations, general surgery applicants and ?subI, I don’t know if I can find a spot.

Yeah I’m not sure how they came to the decision of requiring a general surgery letter. Seems like an overreaction
(05-01-2020, 08:59 PM)Guest Wrote: Yeah uhh...no one in their right mind is going to do an away at Northwestern at the risk of being blackballed at other institutions lol
Which is sad and defeat the purpose to obtain a good quality of exposure and experience ?‍♀️
(05-01-2020, 08:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Lmao so much for consensus between all programs. What the fuck is this guy thinking? https://twitter.com/maciejlesniakmd/stat...59941?s=20

This is a pretty egregious statement made by NU's chair for a number of reasons. Last night, PDs from 5+ reputable institutions (Drs. Chambless, Wolfe, Huang, Selden, Rosseau, likely others I am missing) explicitly told us that the consensus among the programs across the country was that Sub-Is would not be expected from their applicants. Dr. Selden specifically went on to say that in fact doing Sub-Is would *hurt* you in the application process in that you would be acting against the advice that was given to you.

The Twitter post in question suggests that either 1) the PDs lied to us in that this is NOT the consensus expectation (unlikely to be the case), or 2) NU's chair is completely out of the loop from what is going on around him. Hell, one of his own fourth years led the conversation in the call to us last night, and his own PD signed off on the survey we all took last week. Either way, this makes the entire field look bad.
(05-01-2020, 08:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Lmao so much for consensus between all programs. What the fuck is this guy thinking? https://twitter.com/maciejlesniakmd/stat...59941?s=20

(05-01-2020, 09:56 PM)Guest Wrote:

This is a pretty egregious statement made by NU's chair for a number of reasons. Last night, PDs from 5+ reputable institutions (Drs. Chambless, Wolfe, Huang, Selden, Rosseau, likely others I am missing) explicitly told us that the consensus among the programs across the country was that Sub-Is would not be expected from their applicants. Dr. Selden specifically went on to say that in fact doing Sub-Is would *hurt* you in the application process in that you would be acting against the advice that was given to you.

The Twitter post in question suggests that either 1) the PDs lied to us in that this is NOT the consensus expectation (unlikely to be the case), or 2) NU's chair is completely out of the loop from what is going on around him. Hell, one of his own fourth years led the conversation in the call to us last night, and his own PD signed off on the survey we all took last week. Either way, this makes the entire field look bad.

FWIW my home PD wasn't aware of this change until after the meeting on Thursday. Between that and the NW chair's reaction I'm inclined to believe that it wasn't a consensus
(05-01-2020, 09:56 PM)Guest Wrote:

#1 is correct. There is no consensus. Neither our chair nor PD (at a program that usually gets many rotators) had any idea this was coming. The Sub-I piece I can somewhat understand (although the stay at home orders in every state, including NY is very likely to be lifted before July/August/September/October Sub-I season). The general surgery requirement is absolutely ludicrous since there may have been an entire year since students rotated on it, even if they did really well on the rotation. You should be able to have letters from anyone who is willing to write a strong one for you.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)