Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting Pediatric Neurosurgery Salary?
(08-19-2022, 08:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 03:07 PM)Guest Wrote: Just wondering what a reasonable expectation of a starting salary would be for a pediatric neurosurgeon at an academic practice? Would having 500k as your threshold be too high or too low?

500-2M at the institution my gf is at. Internationally renowned program.

(09-24-2020, 04:58 PM)Guest Wrote: Starting is $150K at UCSF.

Seriously, Is this a joke? Ik Eddie Chang makes like 950k but 150k is pathetic

Reality is there are plenty of independently wealthy people in neurosurgery who are willing to accept low academic salaries.
Look at the Nerves data if you have access to it. According to the data even at full professor your average is around 900k which you can easily start at in hospital employed or private. So basically after 15 years in academics you can make what your starting is in private/ hospital employed. Despite what people like to say on this forum the pay difference is real and is usually significant.
900k starting? Let me know when you find a job that offers a starting salary of this.
(08-21-2022, 08:52 AM)Guest Wrote: Look at the Nerves data if you have access to it. According to the data even at full professor your average is around 900k which you can easily start at in hospital employed or private. So basically after 15 years in academics you can make what your starting is in private/ hospital employed. Despite what people like to say on this forum the pay difference is real and is usually significant.

Neither spine nor endovascular offer 900k starting.
Everyone I know in the last 2-3 years has started around 700 to 750 then call pay of around 140 a year. In getting offers currently this seems to be the going rate for hospital employed. At least in regards to jobs people are actually taking.
How do neurosurgery starting salaries compare to ortho spine? Is it the same?
(08-21-2022, 12:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Everyone I know in the last 2-3 years has started around 700 to 750 then call pay of around 140 a year. In getting offers currently this seems to be the going rate for hospital employed. At least in regards to jobs people are actually taking.

For peds ? This sounds like endovascular, especially the 140K call pay
Sorry should have specified. This is for general or spine. Call pay was also pretty variable but generally 1-2k.
(08-21-2022, 08:52 AM)Guest Wrote: Look at the Nerves data if you have access to it. According to the data even at full professor your average is around 900k which you can easily start at in hospital employed or private. So basically after 15 years in academics you can make what your starting is in private/ hospital employed. Despite what people like to say on this forum the pay difference is real and is usually significant.

Two words:

Insurance

Overhead

The difference is not as big as it seems. Practiced in both. It is a matter of fit.
I would point out these are drastically different in hospital employed vs private practice. This forum frequently groups academic vs private but in reality the difference between hospital employed and private is night and day. In hospital employed your overhead is essentially Nil because your an employee. The hospital pays your mid level your staff and office space. Private however you are going to be paying for your mid level staff ect. Pros and cons to everything but calling private and hospital employed the same thing is completely misleading.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)