Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hidden gem programs
(03-08-2021, 11:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:01 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 07:23 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 05:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 01:40 PM)Guest Wrote: I was blown away by University of Rochester. Attendings were really personable in the interview and the residents seemed to get along well. Their volume is also impressive.

They also fired a pgy-5

What? When? whyyy?

whats the story on that?

he is at swedish now
why the firing though
People need to stop getting worked up about firings. If there have been a string of firings at a program over a short period of time that may be a sign of malignant leadership, but an isolated firing should not be held against a program. There are some pretty bad residents out there, and they’re incompetence is sometimes only fully appreciated in the later years of residency when they are given more responsibility. While it definitely sucks to put a decade of your life into NSG and be forced to start over, I don’t think the alternative of pushing through someone who is potentially dangerous is justifiable. Bottom line, don’t let an isolated firing drive you away from a program you like.
(03-09-2021, 12:22 AM)Guest Wrote: People need to stop getting worked up about firings. If there have been a string of firings at a program over a short period of time that may be a sign of malignant leadership, but an isolated firing should not be held against a program. There are some pretty bad residents out there, and they’re incompetence is sometimes only fully appreciated in the later years of residency when they are given more responsibility. While it definitely sucks to put a decade of your life into NSG and be forced to start over, I don’t think the alternative of pushing through someone who is potentially dangerous is justifiable. Bottom line, don’t let an isolated firing drive you away from a program you like.

It's just crazy from an applicant's perspective how its possible that there are bad nsx residents when its just so hypercompetitive to get in. And to make it to your 5th year as well. You would think if someone got into a spot through sheer luck their incompetence would be discovered immediately...
(03-09-2021, 12:22 AM)Guest Wrote: People need to stop getting worked up about firings. If there have been a string of firings at a program over a short period of time that may be a sign of malignant leadership, but an isolated firing should not be held against a program. There are some pretty bad residents out there, and they’re incompetence is sometimes only fully appreciated in the later years of residency when they are given more responsibility. While it definitely sucks to put a decade of your life into NSG and be forced to start over, I don’t think the alternative of pushing through someone who is potentially dangerous is justifiable. Bottom line, don’t let an isolated firing drive you away from a program you like.

Not recognizing an incompetent resident until they are 5 years in (!) and then firing them instead of working with them is definitely a red flag. Obviously if this person broke the law or serious hospital policy the situation is different. Letting a PGY 2 or 3 go every few years on the other hand should not be considered out of the ordinary in this field.
(03-09-2021, 12:30 AM)Guest Wrote:

It's just crazy from an applicant's perspective how its possible that there are bad nsx residents when its just so hypercompetitive to get in. And to make it to your 5th year as well. You would think if someone got into a spot through sheer luck their incompetence would be discovered immediately...

Resident here: it doesn’t surprise me at all, I’m surprised it doesn’t occur more often. You have to be smart and hardworking as a neurosurgery resident sure. You also have to have a sense of ownership over your own learning and knowledge gaps, insight into your weaknesses, ability to juggle life and work, ability to deal with others in a cordial manner in tense situations, ability to share terrible news etc. In the match we try to select for intelligence and academic potential, and there are several ways - Step 1, grades, research etc. Most of this work is done under fluorescent lighting, in comfy environments. What does a Nature paper say about your resilience in residency? It may be good, irrelevant, or bad, I’m not clairvoyant, but are we focusing on all the right things? Sub Is used to be a way to gauge a student’s mettle. Now, in our increasingly PC and medicolegal environment, medical students have little real responsibility and everyone gets an A. Applicants think neurosurgery is hippocampal DBS and dissecting the interpeduncular cistern, you know, Tweetable things. Neurosurgery is that but it also midnight subdurals, your bread and butter spine, and clot evacuations.

A malignant chair or PD is a terrible thing. Neurosurgery can move forward without such personalities. Barring that, it is also the faculty’s responsibility to a resident and his/her patients to ensure a safe, competent product.
(03-09-2021, 12:48 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 12:30 AM)Guest Wrote:

Resident here: it doesn’t surprise me at all, I’m surprised it doesn’t occur more often. You have to be smart and hardworking as a neurosurgery resident sure. You also have to have a sense of ownership over your own learning and knowledge gaps, insight into your weaknesses, ability to juggle life and work, ability to deal with others in a cordial manner in tense situations, ability to share terrible news etc. In the match we try to select for intelligence and academic potential, and there are several ways - Step 1, grades, research etc. Most of this work is done under fluorescent lighting, in comfy environments. What does a Nature paper say about your resilience in residency? It may be good, irrelevant, or bad, I’m not clairvoyant, but are we focusing on all the right things? Sub Is used to be a way to gauge a student’s mettle. Now, in our increasingly PC and medicolegal environment, medical students have little real responsibility and everyone gets an A. Applicants think neurosurgery is hippocampal DBS and dissecting the interpeduncular cistern, you know, Tweetable things. Neurosurgery is that but it also midnight subdurals, your bread and butter spine, and clot evacuations.

A malignant chair or PD is a terrible thing. Neurosurgery can move forward without such personalities. Barring that, it is also the faculty’s responsibility to a resident and his/her patients to ensure a safe, competent product.

For every shit troll post this site produces, every few thousand comments you get a golden piece of insight like this. Thank you to whoever posted this!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)