Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Invites 2020-21
Deans at my school said explicitly to cancel ASAP and if you can't within 1-2 weeks, go on the interview. It makes you look bad. It makes future applicants look bad. It makes your school look bad. That's the end of the story. It's all about mutual respect
(11-15-2020, 03:26 PM)Guest Wrote: [quote pid='25332' dateline='1605461675']
Which is your program so I can withdraw my application?

To make it easy, why don't you tell them who you are, they can withdraw your app for you...pretty sure there are other programs who would also not want people like you in their programs.
[/quote]

One thing I know is that happy well-adjusted residents don’t fight with med students online. I hope things get better for you.
how many spots does Emory have this year. some sources say 3 some say 4?
Resident here:
I don't agree with the Deans' advice not to cancel within 1-2 weeks. If you are 100% certain you are NOT going to consider a program (for whatever reason: you got more than 15-20 interviews and you are satisfied with that, or you received another interview invitation you were waiting for and the dates are going to clash, etc) then cancel as soon as this new information comes up, so you can free a spot for someone else.

We are getting emailed by interested applicants all the time, and we don't have enough interview slots for everyone.

While it never happened in previous years that we fill a spot on a short notice (due to flights/travel commitments that need to be done), I anticipate that this year is going to be much easier to fill such spots.

Bottom line is, for the collective good, if you aren't going to consider a program, cancel, no matter how close to the interview date it is. If it is for a legitimate reason (e.g. you got another invitation that was JUST sent out and happens to be on the same date) we will understand.
(11-15-2020, 10:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Resident here:
I don't agree with the Deans' advice not to cancel within 1-2 weeks. If you are 100% certain you are NOT going to consider a program (for whatever reason: you got more than 15-20 interviews and you are satisfied with that, or you received another interview invitation you were waiting for and the dates are going to clash, etc) then cancel as soon as this new information comes up, so you can free a spot for someone else.

We are getting emailed by interested applicants all the time, and we don't have enough interview slots for everyone.

While it never happened in previous years that we fill a spot on a short notice (due to flights/travel commitments that need to be done), I anticipate that this year is going to be much easier to fill such spots.

Bottom line is, for the collective good, if you aren't going to consider a program, cancel, no matter how close to the interview date it is. If it is for a legitimate reason (e.g. you got another invitation that was JUST sent out and happens to be on the same date) we will understand.

Agree. I cancelled one of my interviews because the dates won’t work even though I really wanted to interview with the program. I don’t understand why some people hold on to it and try to switch until the week of interview.
(11-15-2020, 11:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 10:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Resident here:

Agree. I cancelled one of my interviews because the dates won’t work even though I really wanted to interview with the program. I don’t understand why some people hold on to it and try to switch until the week of interview.

I happen to agree with the PD poster and the supporting comments.  We have a set number of days to interview applicants.  It is difficult to marshall the faculty and residents to stop clinic, surgery, research, and their personal lives to spend a day for interviews.  Hospitals and Departments have productivity metrics to reach which took a major hit as a result of COVID.  Interview spots which go unused as a result of a last minute cancelation or no-show by some inconsiderate applicant only costs other applicants the interview opportunity.  The spots are finite.  Those on this forum who worry about their interview invite numbers are the ones who are hurt by applicants hoarding invites which they will not go to.
(11-15-2020, 01:34 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 11:54 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 11:42 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 11:39 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 09:06 AM)a program director Wrote: There are a couple of thoughts on here about cancelling interviews:  General rules:
Cancel as soon as you know as that only provides the institution an opportunity to give an interview position to someone on the waitlist
-interview slots are limited and the interviewers are giving up clinic/OR time to interview= money lost
-and people on the waitlist are anxious and have to plan, and would typically love your spot

note on trading- this is not allowed typically- you cancel, the institution then reaches out to the next in line.  If you trade an interview date at the same place with someone confirmed to interview that is fine and the EPCs probably appreciate that.

RECOMMENDED:
do not cancel an interview less than 7 days prior to it. 
Some of us program directors will send a email or note to the program director at your institution if this occurs as most believe this is not very professional.
of course if you have a family emergency, get sick, etc that is different and I would explain as much as you can to the program when you cancel probably within 14 days of the interview.  I think if you are less than 7 days and cancel and simply say you are not interested in the program to the program that would probably avoid the communication back to your primary institution.  Of course everyplace is different and different views on this but this is the general sense I get on these things.

Good luck to you all this year, there are a lot of amazing applicants this year.

"money lost" 

Thank you for broadcasting your value system. Which program do you direct?

Lol, if you're looking for a program where neurosurgeons don't care about their money you're going to have a bad time.

Literally the first thing applicants are hearing from this is PD is "you better not cost me money." I'm not "looking" for anything and I call it as I see it. Enjoy your Kool-Aid.

(11-15-2020, 11:39 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 09:06 AM)a program director Wrote: There are a couple of thoughts on here about cancelling interviews:  General rules:
Cancel as soon as you know as that only provides the institution an opportunity to give an interview position to someone on the waitlist
-interview slots are limited and the interviewers are giving up clinic/OR time to interview= money lost
-and people on the waitlist are anxious and have to plan, and would typically love your spot

note on trading- this is not allowed typically- you cancel, the institution then reaches out to the next in line.  If you trade an interview date at the same place with someone confirmed to interview that is fine and the EPCs probably appreciate that.

RECOMMENDED:
Some of us program directors will send a email or note to the program director at your institution if this occurs as most believe this is not very professional.
of course if you have a family emergency, get sick, etc that is different and I would explain as much as you can to the program when you cancel probably within 14 days of the interview.  I think if you are less than 7 days and cancel and simply say you are not interested in the program to the program that would probably avoid the communication back to your primary institution.  Of course everyplace is different and different views on this but this is the general sense I get on these things.

Good luck to you all this year, there are a lot of amazing applicants this year.

"money lost" 

Lol, if you're looking for a program where neurosurgeons don't care about their money you're going to have a bad time.

Wow if that's not a damning condemnation of an entire specialty I dunno what is. Is that why you're applying too?

RECOMMENDED:

OMG you're threatening to sabotage applicants at home as retribution for inconveniencing you? MAJOR RED FLAGS AT THIS PROGRAM. Anyone know who this is?

You know when you reply multiple times we can see that they're all you, right?

If you can't cancel or reschedule an interview in an appropriate amount of time it means you're either unorganized, inconsiderate, self-centered, or all of the above. It's rude in any industry at any level. 

And yes, i know it's shocking, but the primary motivation of department leadership throughout the country is money. It's all about their referral base, case loads, RVUs, salaries, compensation from industry, etc. Even the more academic ones, front and center in their minds are grants, promotions, the companies they're involved in. Mike Lawton doesn't drive a Toyota Camry.

You thinking that's a "condemnation" just shows you're a naive child and you have no idea what you're getting into. Genuinely hope you don't interview at my program.

What do he be driving tho
(11-16-2020, 11:26 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 01:34 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 11:54 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 11:39 AM)Guest Wrote: "money lost" 

Literally the first thing applicants are hearing from this is PD is "you better not cost me money." I'm not "looking" for anything and I call it as I see it. Enjoy your Kool-Aid.

(11-15-2020, 11:39 AM)Guest Wrote: "money lost" 

Wow if that's not a damning condemnation of an entire specialty I dunno what is. Is that why you're applying too?

RECOMMENDED:

OMG you're threatening to sabotage applicants at home as retribution for inconveniencing you? MAJOR RED FLAGS AT THIS PROGRAM. Anyone know who this is?

You know when you reply multiple times we can see that they're all you, right?

If you can't cancel or reschedule an interview in an appropriate amount of time it means you're either unorganized, inconsiderate, self-centered, or all of the above. It's rude in any industry at any level. 

And yes, i know it's shocking, but the primary motivation of department leadership throughout the country is money. It's all about their referral base, case loads, RVUs, salaries, compensation from industry, etc. Even the more academic ones, front and center in their minds are grants, promotions, the companies they're involved in. Mike Lawton doesn't drive a Toyota Camry.

You thinking that's a "condemnation" just shows you're a naive child and you have no idea what you're getting into. Genuinely hope you don't interview at my program.

What do he be driving tho

your mom
For all the PDs/residents on here, is anyone actually watching our research presentations?
(11-16-2020, 03:07 PM)Guest Wrote: For all the PDs/residents on here, is anyone actually watching our research presentations?

I am a resident, west coast. we have had applicants put down >50 publications, which include everything from abstracts, poster presentations, to actual peer reviewed articles in JNS/red journal where the applicant (supposedly) made a meaningful contribution. while at our program it is certainly frowned upon to have less than 5 things under this category, i would encourage applicants to be truthful in terms of how much research contribution you actually had. what I am trying to say is, putting down a whole bunch of fluff doesn't "pad" your application.

we do have people who comb over these in depth, and have turned up disingenuous "publications." suffice to say, your application ain't going to the next round.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)