Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1 gone, CK useless
(07-23-2021, 11:17 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 09:51 PM)Resident Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 09:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Eh neurosurgery will be  the latest field that will fall to anti-intellectualism; it’s already starting in this thread with insinuations that people who score well on a test of medical knowledge are autistic nerds and low scorers are “handy” and “cool”.

That’s exactly my worry. We should want the overall best entering this field, academics/judgement/dexterity etc. This is neurosurgery not intramural badminton.

A low step one is a character flaw

A lot of high scorers are poor clinically, and many low scorers kill it on the wards probably because they feel they have something to prove. Regardless, sub-I performance and letters >>>>>> everything else.

I need a resident who can handle a list of >30 floor and icu patients, while being hammer paged for urgent and BS consults, and making sure my preops and AM updates for attendings are all ready to go.. your scores don't mean shit if you can't manage SAH patients in the ED needing A lines and EVDs at 4AM as you prepare to round w/ senior and then realize the cardene gtt you ordered was never started, a postop scan on a patient didn't get done, DAPT wasn't held for a preop, etc.

I can tell pretty quickly if a sub-I on service has what it takes to run a neurosurgical service or not
How I review apps now:
1. Check step 1 score to make sure they're not an idiot
2. Dissect LORs, hobbies, and pubs
3. Try to remember if they were likable and talk to residents/faculty about how they fit

How I will review apps in the future:
1. Check step 2 ck score to make sure they're not an idiot
2. Dissect LORs, hobbies, and pubs
3. Try to remember if they were likable and talk to residents/faculty about how they fit

The exact step 1 score never mattered, nor should it have. It can tell you things at the extremes but trying to compare anything between a 240-260 is just dumb. Nothing about that will change with CK.
(07-22-2021, 09:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Eh neurosurgery will be  the latest field that will fall to anti-intellectualism; it’s already starting in this thread with insinuations that people who score well on a test of medical knowledge are autistic nerds and low scorers are “handy” and “cool”.

That’s exactly my worry. We should want the overall best entering this field, academics/judgement/dexterity etc. This is neurosurgery not intramural badminton.

100% true. It means you didn't bother to prepare, didn't bother to study, or are just too dumb to understand the material. Mind you, this is med school, where the school bends over backwards to help you study.
(07-23-2021, 12:08 PM)Guest Wrote:

A lot of high scorers are poor clinically, and many low scorers kill it on the wards probably because they feel they have something to prove. Regardless, sub-I performance and letters >>>>>> everything else.

I need a resident who can handle a list of >30 floor and icu patients, while being hammer paged for urgent and BS consults, and making sure my preops and AM updates for attendings are all ready to go.. your scores don't mean shit if you can't manage SAH patients in the ED needing A lines and EVDs at 4AM as you prepare to round w/ senior and then realize the cardene gtt you ordered was never started, a postop scan on a patient didn't get done, DAPT wasn't held for a preop, etc.

I can tell pretty quickly if a sub-I on service has what it takes to run a neurosurgical service or not
You described junior work. There are other necessary qualities to being a neurosurgery attending which is the goal of residency. If this is all it takes to be a neurosurgeon then the PAs already managing the neuro floor at half the hospital should just automatically become residents.

Yes. I want that in my junior and I want a decent Step score. For this job, I can ask for both. One doesn’t come at the expense of the other.

It used to be unheard of for someone with a 210 to match into neurosurgery. Now with this kumbaya, everyone can participate approach to the match, someone that would have will match. I know Step 1 and CK, CK is vastly easier. A decent Step 1 score tells me one of two things 1) You’re sharp with excellent memory and reasoning which will help in your career OR 2) You have good memory and reasoning and you had the stamina and drive to study and dedicate yourself to a goal.

I think it was the biggest mistake of the medical profession to debase the one exam and knowledge set that only an MD or DO was responsible for mastering. It’s not really a problem for neurosurgeons since no midlevel is encroaching on cranis, but it is for many other specialties.
Neurosurgery has gone woke. Cushing has rolled over in his grave. >70% of the residents in neurosurgery training today should not be in training. Patients will pay the price.
Medicine has gone totally woke. They believe the best docs are the ones who are woke, that being a female minority lesbian automatically makes you a better surgeon. Usmle is racist, it’s racist and bigoted to want a high score, a relic of evil white men. Mid levels will have a much better argument now as all objective metrics have gone. Patients will pay a big price and the field will go to the dogs.

Go woke, go broke.
(07-24-2021, 08:54 AM)Guest Wrote:

Yes. I want that in my junior and I want a decent Step score. For this job, I can ask for both. One doesn’t come at the expense of the other.

It used to be unheard of for someone with a 210 to match into neurosurgery. Now with this kumbaya, everyone can participate approach to the match, someone that would have will match. I know Step 1 and CK, CK is vastly easier. A decent Step 1 score tells me one of two things 1) You’re sharp with excellent memory and reasoning which will help in your career OR 2) You have good memory and reasoning and you had the stamina and drive to study and dedicate yourself to a goal.

I think it was the biggest mistake of the medical profession to debase the one exam and knowledge set that only an MD or DO was responsible for mastering. It’s not really a problem for neurosurgeons since no midlevel is encroaching on cranis, but it is for many other specialties.
You're literally just making things up:

https://twitter.com/TaylorAbelMD/status/...33152?s=19

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30010944/

When exactly is this "used to be" era?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
(07-27-2021, 05:21 PM)celticsg17 Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 09:51 PM)Resident Wrote: That’s exactly my worry. We should want the overall best entering this field, academics/judgement/dexterity etc. This is neurosurgery not intramural badminton.

Abel’s post corroborates what I said. It is rare for someone to match with a very low score. I wrote how I interpret a Step 1 score, don’t get your panties in a twist.

I don’t need neurology and psychiatry scorers in my field, thanks.

With Step 1 P/F there’s no way to gauge
(07-27-2021, 06:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 05:21 PM)celticsg17 Wrote:
(07-23-2021, 11:17 AM)Guest Wrote: A low step one is a character flaw

Abel’s post corroborates what I said. It is rare for someone to match with a very low score. I wrote how I interpret a Step 1 score, don’t get your panties in a twist.

I don’t need neurology and psychiatry scorers in my field, thanks.

With Step 1 P/F there’s no way to gauge
So we're just going to ignore the article published by literal neurosurgeons that concluded:

"USMLE Step I score has little utility in predicting the future careers of neurosurgery resident applicants. A career in academic neurosurgery is associated with a slightly higher USMLE Step I score. However, USMLE Step I score does not predict academic rank or productivity (h-index or NIH funding) nor does USMLE Step I score predict ABNS certification status."

No one said you can't have a different opinion, but let's not pretend you're approaching it with the least bit of tact or respect for our other medical colleagues. Good luck to you [emoji106]

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)