Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Functional Fellowships?
(08-05-2022, 07:03 PM)Guest Wrote: I know Toronto to all the rave but fair warning, you take junior call for the program as a fellow.

Done enough of that.

No fellowship in the world is worth that
If <14 days of call (only half of which you will be the primary call) dissuades you from the consensus top fellowship and a connection to the largest network in functional neurosurgery, so be it. They have >200 applicants each year with more than 10 from the US - they will easily get someone quality. Also, you get to live in Toronto. That's seriously not worth a couple days of seeing consults at a non-trauma center? How lazy are you?
if that's true I actually think it's a fair point to consider. There are lots of good functional fellowships, probably more than there are good applicants or good jobs (which is frankly true of most fellowships at this point). I don't think it's about laziness, I think it's about getting a modicum of respect as someone who is able to independently practice. It's not like the cases that come through the ER are likely to add to your functional neurosurgery subspecialty training.
(08-06-2022, 11:46 AM)Guest Wrote: If <14 days of call (only half of which you will be the primary call) dissuades you from the consensus top fellowship and a connection to the largest network in functional neurosurgery, so be it. They have >200 applicants each year with more than 10 from the US - they will easily get someone quality. Also, you get to live in Toronto. That's seriously not worth a couple days of seeing consults at a non-trauma center? How lazy are you?

You get to a point in your life where your self respect matters. I will do just fine without Toronto.

Low pay and high cost of living? No thanks.
Out of curiosity, what do you think a lot of people in private practice do when they get called by the ED? You're not always going to have a mid-level or resident to go in and see the patient. Someone thinking that seeing ED consults is beneath them speaks volumes.

To each their own. It's a little hilarious that the barrier to entry for some people is the "modicum of respect" or breathtaking small amount of rounding or call you have to do in order to get great training. If <10 days of call dissuades you, then you would blanche at the effort it takes to move to another country and practice as a physician.

Low pay and high cost of living? Everyone says the other top tier place is UCSF...
You must be a Toronto resident or fellow to be this passionate.

I train at a county type hospital, nonstop crisis and triage are my normal.

What irks me is that there are so many Toronto residents around, why on earth would they require the fellow to take junior call? Where are the residents?

We need to transition to attending at some point. When I don’t have 20+ residents around yes I absolutely will be the first in the ED. I don’t trust anyone outside neurosurgery/NCC to know how to manage our patients.
Is it actually junior call? My understanding was that you acted as the senior resident having consults run by you via the junior and you only came in to operate. It’s only 2-3 calls a month per their website.
Lol at attending PP attendings seeing consults routinely in the ED. The mountains of abusive consults trainees get is because they are considered an infinitely expendable resource. I can see that skull fracture in clinic in 4 to 6 weeks thanks.
You get much better training when treated as a junior colleague. Experimentation is part of higher level training.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)