Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most cush residency?
(09-29-2021, 02:14 AM)Guest Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 09:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 07:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 09:35 AM)Guest Wrote: As someone from a busy program - there is value in the scut. I understand that to many of you who are MS3 through PGY3ish that seems like a contradiction but it is not. I grant that there are diminishing returns, but if you're not getting something out of it that's on you. It does not take much to tell the difference between people who went to a "cush" residency and people who got beaten up. You see it in patient selection, reaction to non-surgical complications, and understanding of how the hospital functions. Many people can learn to operate but that kind of stuff helps you to avoid or minimize issues that would otherwise lead to bad outcomes. Any person who thinks this is low value or that they are above it is just asking for problems.

This is right on the money. 

Transporting patients and drawing labs, yes that’s a reality at some programs. But discharging patients, carrying the pager, seeing consults, post op issues is all very valuable. I’d rather have worked up a post op PE, or fever, or HIT as a resident than as an attending. When you select a patient for surgery, you made them into a surgical patient, you should know how to handle it.

Right, and these aren't necessarily paired together. At Mayo Rochester the residents never draw labs or transport anyone, but they carry the pager 24/7 for their patients and workup whatever postop issues come up, take outside phone calls from people who left and have issues, do discharges, etc.

mayo has it easy. their big selling point, always mention a good work-life balance in the meet and greets. Always mention outside activities. 

To say otherwise is absurd.

You've obviously never been there. The above 2 things are not mutually exclusive. There's no doubt that they have less in house call and generally better hours than other programs. But if you rotate there you'll see how the mentorship model works. If your patient becomes dyspneic and desats overnight at 3 AM, guess who gets the phone call? The service resident, not the one who's covering in house call. Same for patients who were discharged X number of days ago after a fusion and complaining of new radiculopathy. The residents take all those calls and deal with those issues, to the other poster's point above.
Remember a program that does 100 cases a week also does 100 discharges a week. Getting good operative cases as a junior resident means everyone above you has to be doing a better case. All of those patients I need perioperative care.
(09-29-2021, 08:55 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 07:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 09:35 AM)Guest Wrote: As someone from a busy program - there is value in the scut. I understand that to many of you who are MS3 through PGY3ish that seems like a contradiction but it is not. I grant that there are diminishing returns, but if you're not getting something out of it that's on you. It does not take much to tell the difference between people who went to a "cush" residency and people who got beaten up. You see it in patient selection, reaction to non-surgical complications, and understanding of how the hospital functions. Many people can learn to operate but that kind of stuff helps you to avoid or minimize issues that would otherwise lead to bad outcomes. Any person who thinks this is low value or that they are above it is just asking for problems.

This is right on the money. 

Transporting patients and drawing labs, yes that’s a reality at some programs. But discharging patients, carrying the pager, seeing consults, post op issues is all very valuable. I’d rather have worked up a post op PE, or fever, or HIT as a resident than as an attending. When you select a patient for surgery, you made them into a surgical patient, you should know how to handle it.

Right, and these aren't necessarily paired together. At Mayo Rochester the residents never draw labs or transport anyone, but they carry the pager 24/7 for their patients and workup whatever postop issues come up, take outside phone calls from people who left and have issues, do discharges, etc.

mayo has it easy. their big selling point, always mention a good work-life balance in the meet and greets. Always mention outside activities. 

You've obviously never been there. The above 2 things are not mutually exclusive. There's no doubt that they have less in house call and generally better hours than other programs. But if you rotate there you'll see how the mentorship model works. If your patient becomes dyspneic and desats overnight at 3 AM, guess who gets the phone call? The service resident, not the one who's covering in house call. Same for patients who were discharged X number of days ago after a fusion and complaining of new radiculopathy. The residents take all those calls and deal with those issues, to the other poster's point above.

I've know very little which is why i am here. i don't mind doing quality work, i don't want to do shit work for the sake of work. don't want malignancy. if i can avoid shit places i will. 

I'd like mayo, even the az and fl ones are top-notch with great culture.

mayo sounds like top place. so does carolinas brown and Dartmouth

Thanks everyone for the advice here,
(10-01-2021, 11:56 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 07:50 PM)Guest Wrote: This is right on the money. 

I've know very little which is why i am here. i don't mind doing quality work, i don't want to do shit work for the sake of work. don't want malignancy. if i can avoid shit places i will. 

No job is beneath you, from medical school through attending-hood. This kind of silver spoon pansy ass mentality will inevitably show itself wherever is unfortunate enough to match you.
(10-02-2021, 03:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 09:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Right, and these aren't necessarily paired together. At Mayo Rochester the residents never draw labs or transport anyone, but they carry the pager 24/7 for their patients and workup whatever postop issues come up, take outside phone calls from people who left and have issues, do discharges, etc.

No job is beneath you, from medical school through attending-hood. This kind of silver spoon pansy ass mentality will inevitably show itself wherever is unfortunate enough to match you.

At Mayo, you learn one-on-on with a neurosurgeon attending. the attending guides you through all the procedures and takes you step-by-step through the entire surgery. 

so even through you are missing out on important things like drawing blood, doing scutwork, and sweeping the floor, you kind of make up for it through the mentorship program they have.
(10-04-2021, 05:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 02:14 AM)Guest Wrote: mayo has it easy. their big selling point, always mention a good work-life balance in the meet and greets. Always mention outside activities. 

At Mayo, you learn one-on-on with a neurosurgeon attending. the attending guides you through all the procedures and takes you step-by-step through the entire surgery. 

so even through you are missing out on important things like drawing blood, doing scutwork, and sweeping the floor, you kind of make up for it through the mentorship program they have.

Your reading comprehension skills are excellent.
(10-04-2021, 06:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 05:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 08:55 PM)Guest Wrote: You've obviously never been there. The above 2 things are not mutually exclusive. There's no doubt that they have less in house call and generally better hours than other programs. But if you rotate there you'll see how the mentorship model works. If your patient becomes dyspneic and desats overnight at 3 AM, guess who gets the phone call? The service resident, not the one who's covering in house call. Same for patients who were discharged X number of days ago after a fusion and complaining of new radiculopathy. The residents take all those calls and deal with those issues, to the other poster's point above.

Your reading comprehension skills are excellent.

It looks like you are very happy at your community program where you draw your own blood, dress the bandages and mop the floors even. Good for you, you are obviously learning a lot. You make your hate for Mayo, Barrow, and Yale loud and clear.

Personally, I like the Mayo model of one-on-one apprenticeship. Unlike you, I would grab the opportunity to train at a place like that. I know I'd be missing out on how to draw blood and replacing a band-aid, but I feel that the research, mentorship, personal learning time and case variety makes up for what I'll be missing out on.
Unfortunately Mayo doesn't take osteopaths.
Mayo is an amazing program, there’s no disputing that. If you look at where their residents come from, you’ll see many are from the area. The reality is that if you’re a strong enough applicant to match at Mayo, you have your choice of great programs and many ppl choose to be closer to friends/family
(10-05-2021, 12:07 PM)Guest Wrote: Mayo is an amazing program, there’s no disputing that. If you look at where their residents come from, you’ll see many are from the area. The reality is that if you’re a strong enough applicant to match at Mayo, you have your choice of great programs and many ppl choose to be closer to friends/family

I would like to train at Mayo. I like the one-on-one. Someone I spoke to told me that the attending will guide them step-by-step through the entire operation. Just imagine learning like that from someone who is top in the field.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)