Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most cush residency?
(10-09-2021, 12:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-06-2021, 02:48 PM)Guest Wrote: MGH is truly #1 in the world. No other residency offers such exposure to complex cases, world-class basic-science research, clinical research and top surgeons to learn one-on-one from.

Even better, it has a refined, sophisticated, scholarly Ivy-League aura in one of the great cities of the world. You have collaboration opportunities with Tuffs, Boston, the world-famous MIT, and of course Harvard down the lake. All the Nobel laurates--and would-be laurates--will at least inspire you to do something with your life, if nothing else.

Fact, is when you train to be a neurosurgeon at Harvard, you just know you made it.

And lets not forget the beauty and culture of the New England region, the liberal atmosphere, and the colorful Fall and Spring.

As they say, anyone who get into Harvard, goes to Harvard.

Of course, they only take the best of the best, which would eliminate everyone here.

Having seen MGH grads operate, I'll take a firm pass Smile

You talk as though you have a choice in the matter.
(10-09-2021, 03:31 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 12:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-06-2021, 02:48 PM)Guest Wrote: MGH is truly #1 in the world. No other residency offers such exposure to complex cases, world-class basic-science research, clinical research and top surgeons to learn one-on-one from.

Even better, it has a refined, sophisticated, scholarly Ivy-League aura in one of the great cities of the world. You have collaboration opportunities with Tuffs, Boston, the world-famous MIT, and of course Harvard down the lake. All the Nobel laurates--and would-be laurates--will at least inspire you to do something with your life, if nothing else.

Fact, is when you train to be a neurosurgeon at Harvard, you just know you made it.

And lets not forget the beauty and culture of the New England region, the liberal atmosphere, and the colorful Fall and Spring.

As they say, anyone who get into Harvard, goes to Harvard.

Of course, they only take the best of the best, which would eliminate everyone here.

Having seen MGH grads operate, I'll take a firm pass Smile

You talk as though you have a choice in the matter.

I had a choice in the matter when I decided where I put them on my rank list.
No one in their right mind ranks MGH highly. The only thing you learn there is how to TALK about Neurosurgery, but not how to actually do it
Why so much MGH hate? On doxometry is gets all good ratings? i spoke to a few dr about mgh and they all had good things to say.

this reminds me of high school when everyone would hate on Harvard after getting rejected lol

also, how does mgh comapre with mayo which also has a lot of oversight?
(10-11-2021, 03:35 PM)Guest Wrote: Why so much MGH hate? On doxometry is gets all good ratings? i spoke to a few dr about mgh and they all had good things to say.

this reminds me of high school when everyone would hate on Harvard after getting rejected lol

You won’t know unless you’re in the field. Believe it or not in organized neurosurgery having good hands is less valued over marketability and research output. MGH is a fantastic institution where you are surrounded by the greates and brightest pumping out future chairs and R01 funded researchers, again all of which you don’t need to be a good surgeon to accomplish. Our outside Fellows from “mid tier” programs surgically outperform the ivy leaguers consistently, which for community practice your reputation hinges on outcomes.. people talk about how you butchered their grandpa and not your latest publication. Not to say academicians can’t operate, but it’s easier to hide poor skills under the shroud of prestige and academics.
(10-11-2021, 10:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-11-2021, 03:35 PM)Guest Wrote: Why so much MGH hate? On doxometry is gets all good ratings? i spoke to a few dr about mgh and they all had good things to say.

You won’t know unless you’re in the field. Believe it or not in organized neurosurgery having good hands is less valued over marketability and research output. MGH is a fantastic institution where you are surrounded by the greates and brightest pumping out future chairs and R01 funded researchers, again all of which you don’t need to be a good surgeon to accomplish. Our outside Fellows from “mid tier” programs surgically outperform the ivy leaguers consistently, which for community practice your reputation hinges on outcomes.. people talk about how you butchered their grandpa and not your latest publication. Not to say academicians can’t operate, but it’s easier to hide poor skills under the shroud of prestige and academics.

100% True.

Those that can’t teach. Mostly true.
(10-11-2021, 10:16 PM)Guest Wrote:

Oh ok, thanks a lot for that reply. Now I understand. 

If I may ask, what about Mayo? They have a mentorship model, how do their grads perform?

Thank you
Mayo is an exception to the above. There are others as well usually the private practice programs. Bottom line is that most educated people will not go to a university hospital because there are “better” options.
If MGH followed the Mayo model of clinical training or provided the same operative experience that you find at powerhouses like UWash, Barrow, USC, etc it would be by far and away the best program hands down.

But guess what. It’s ducking Harvard. It doesn’t need to put in that effort.. the Harvard name is enough to swoon these naive young applicants.. when it’s all said and done you’ll realize you would want the Miami grad operating on your loved one instead of Brigham/Columbia/Yale/etc grad.
(10-12-2021, 10:01 PM)Guest Wrote: "powerhouses like UWash, Barrow, USC, etc"

Only one of those programs is remotely a "powerhouse"

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)