Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things are getting real bad out their.
(10-16-2021, 03:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 02:54 PM)Completely Fucked Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 02:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 01:45 PM)Completely Fucked Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 05:30 AM)Focus Wrote: I think that you're drastically overemphasizing the effect.

Well around 15% of US MD grads didn't match; only a few years ago it was 1-2%. 15% is a pretty big number, if anything we are underemphasizing the problem. 

I have seen first-hand kids who didn't even soap/scramble--no red flags, no repeated years or anything. They have to get like research job and reapply and its horrible. 

Medicine is becoming like law school, if u are a top grad u get tons of jobs at your choice, but if you are not or are just unlucky you are fucked real bad.

Okay so go into something else. Good riddance.

So just change careers? After 4 years in med school, just switch to another career on a whim? What to go into--computer science? Nursing?

What is wrong with the older generation? The older generation has created havoc and the younger generation have to live with it.

there are plenty of careers in the world that one may pursue

This is the sort of thinking that I despise. After 4 years of pre-med, 4 years of medical school, kids are told to just go into another career. 

Fortunately I am just an MS1 and so I check these forms to prepare myself for NS. But it is fundamentally unfair that the older generation is allowing this to happen.
(10-16-2021, 05:30 AM)Focus Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 12:49 AM)Guest Wrote: lots of copers here. Coping real hard.

In the good old days, if you didn't match NS you could go into other (if shittier) specialties like rads or gas or general sug. Nowadays you can't really do that because the number of med schools is increasing. And we have more foreign people who match.

Why is this allowed?

I think that you're drastically overemphasizing the effect.

Well around 15% of US MD grads didn't match; only a few years ago it was 1-2%. 15% is a pretty big number, if anything we are underemphasizing the problem. 

I have seen first-hand kids who didn't even soap/scramble--no red flags, no repeated years or anything. They have to get like research job and reapply and its horrible. 

Medicine is becoming like law school, if u are a top grad u get tons of jobs at your choice, but if you are not or are just unlucky you are fucked real bad.

So just change careers? After 4 years in med school, just switch to another career on a whim? What to go into--computer science? Nursing?

What is wrong with the older generation? The older generation has created havoc and the younger generation have to live with it.

I’m not the older generation. I am a current applicant and I find your ranting seriously sickening. Sorry to say there aren’t a ton of “excellent” applicants not matching and not getting into any other field. More likely those “4 years” of pursuing this those unmatched people had many signals that their chances were slim and should have already worked on back up plans. Including networking/research in other fields. Believing you can soap into NSG with a poor app when spots fill consistently just shows poor judgment. 

Thus, any logical borderline applicant would have a plan for neurology, general surgery, EM/IM, whatever.
(10-16-2021, 03:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 05:30 AM)Focus Wrote: I think that you're drastically overemphasizing the effect.

I’m not the older generation. I am a current applicant and I find your ranting seriously sickening. Sorry to say there aren’t a ton of “excellent” applicants not matching and not getting into any other field. More likely those “4 years” of pursuing this those unmatched people had many signals that their chances were slim and should have already worked on back up plans. Including networking/research in other fields. Believing you can soap into NSG with a poor app when spots fill consistently just shows poor judgment. 

Thus, any logical borderline applicant would have a plan for neurology, general surgery, EM/IM, whatever.

if you spend time trying to make some sort of obscure backup plan instead of focusing 100% on neurosurgery, your lack of commitment will show and you are completely fucked
(10-16-2021, 05:35 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 01:45 PM)Completely Fucked Wrote: Well around 15% of US MD grads didn't match; only a few years ago it was 1-2%. 15% is a pretty big number, if anything we are underemphasizing the problem. 

if you spend time trying to make some sort of obscure backup plan instead of focusing 100% on neurosurgery, your lack of commitment will show and you are completely fucked

I think the typical path unfortunately is if you don’t like the amount of interviews you have come November then people sign up for more medicine/family SubIs and get letters in preparation for SOAP. I’ve even heard of programs that like to just fill from SOAP and not bother with interviewing normally because they get all these bargain bin ortho/nsgy applicants who want to have a job but are still leagues above the typical FM/IM applicant.
(10-16-2021, 05:35 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 01:45 PM)Completely Fucked Wrote: Well around 15% of US MD grads didn't match; only a few years ago it was 1-2%. 15% is a pretty big number, if anything we are underemphasizing the problem. 

Then don’t apply to neurosurgery. The entire point is NSG is a self selective specialty. There aren’t a ton of excellent candidates graduating from US MD schools not matching. They just weren’t excellent candidates. Again, this isn’t rocket science. No one is owed a spot in this field.

In the good old days, if you didn't match NS you could go into other (if shittier) specialties like rads or gas or general sug. Nowadays you can't really do that because the number of med schools is increasing. And we have more foreign people who match.

Why is this allowed?

My understanding is that 6.7% didn't match. It was like 5% when I went to medical school, to the best of my recollection. There are tons of spots still that may be less desirable. As others have said, you aren't owed a specific specialty slot.
(10-16-2021, 07:24 PM)Focus Wrote:

Why is this allowed?

My understanding is that 6.7% didn't match. It was like 5% when I went to medical school, to the best of my recollection. There are tons of spots still that may be less desirable. As others have said, you aren't owed a specific specialty slot.

The figure is actually around 7.2% (I just checked). The 5% you speak of is probably incorrect as well. But assuming it is correct, it is not a complete picture because of the ease of soap in the old days. SOAP has gotten a lot harder because of the MASSIVE rise in DO and MD schools.

So even though it used to be 5%, it was very easy to SOAP. Now its 7.2% and a lot harder to soap and scramble. I don't think its possible to SOAP into gen surgery or rads or anasteology unless you went out of your way to make backup plans. Nowadays they want research specifically in the field. So you have to SOAP into IM or FM. 

I am not saying anyone is owed anything. But I do feel that successful completion of medical school should lead to residency. 

For me, personally, I am MS1, so I am doing research in neuro-radiology, and hope to later go into more skull-base research. This is so that I will have a lot of backup options (radiology, gen surgery, ENT) should I have the need. 

So I feel that you really need to plan ahead nowadays in terms of research, so that you can cover more bases. That's why I spend so much time here, as proper planning is vital nowadays. Or else your gonna get fucked real bad.
(10-17-2021, 01:10 AM)Completely Fucked Wrote:

Why is this allowed?

The figure is actually around 7.2% (I just checked). The 5% you speak of is probably incorrect as well. But assuming it is correct, it is not a complete picture because of the ease of soap in the old days. SOAP has gotten a lot harder because of the MASSIVE rise in DO and MD schools.

So even though it used to be 5%, it was very easy to SOAP. Now its 7.2% and a lot harder to soap and scramble. I don't think its possible to SOAP into gen surgery or rads or anasteology unless you went out of your way to make backup plans. Nowadays they want research specifically in the field. So you have to SOAP into IM or FM. 

I am not saying anyone is owed anything. But I do feel that successful completion of medical school should lead to residency. 

For me, personally, I am MS1, so I am doing research in neuro-radiology, and hope to later go into more skull-base research. This is so that I will have a lot of backup options (radiology, gen surgery, ENT) should I have the need. 

So I feel that you really need to plan ahead nowadays in terms of research, so that you can cover more bases. That's why I spend so much time here, as proper planning is vital nowadays. Or else your gonna get fucked real bad.
What data do you have to support this.

Why is this allowed?

You are unhinged. You’ll probably not match neurosurgery for much more obvious reasons…

Why is this allowed?

Seriously, you're just in the beginning of medical school. You don't need to neurotically stress about your future at this point. Focus on medical school right now. You're involved in research already, so you have a headstart. Seeing MS1s needlessly ranting about this shit at this stage is seriously annoying.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)