Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No home program/dept?
i was in your shoes a decade ago to a degree, went to a lower tier med school than i could have without a home program for family reasons (which i don't regret, at the end of the day all you have is your family), i knew that i needed to knock step out of the park and it is unfortunate that this isn't an option anymore. You could try to set up something with a neurosurgery program closer to home or somewhere you are targetting for the summer between ms1-2. I think you should definitely plan for a research year at a more name brand place after second or 3rd year, try to get them to adopt you as a pseudo home student, make sure to find a way to publish, ace step 2 i guess. It isn't so much that not having a home program hamstrings you, its not having the research opportunities and being at a lower tier med school that makes it an uphill climb, can be done though, flip side is that your life will probably be better if you do something else anyways so i wouldn't be 'depressed' about not doing neurosurgery if it doesnt work out
(11-17-2021, 07:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 05:38 PM)Young and dumb Wrote: Hi all,

Im an MD1 at a bottom of the barrell US MD school interested in neurosurgery. Problem is I do not really have a home program/dept. The nearest academic medical center is 100 miles away. Any tips from others that did not have easy access to mentors on how to get involved in things that will make me competitive? I have multiple poster presentations, a publication, a patent, etc in the neurosciences (not neurosurgery) from undergrad/grad school and might be able to shadow a neurosurgeon at a local hospital but research may be incredibly hard to come by. My school has sent maybe 4 people into neurosurgery residency in the past 15 years so asking others/alumni for help is also not working out well.... I do not have goals to match at Barrow or UCSF or anything and would be very happy one day matching at northeast program like Penn State (preferreded/favorite program & location), Geisinger, Temple, Jefferson, Maryland, etc.

Dona research year away at a T20. I have seen previous applicants successful after this. Gets research and letters from well known faculty.

Hi,
I thought it was easier for AMGs to match neurosurgery if they are interested. But your post gives me an uncanny reality check. Neurosurgery is hard. Matching into Neurosurgery is even harder.  Wherever you graduate from doesn't make a major difference.  I am grinding for neurosurgical training in this country (IMG on a green card through a lottery; my parents haven't even been in a wide body aircraft). I hope I can make it. Just got  a research position at a University Department of Neurosurgery. lets hope this might change my life.
I attend a bottom tier medical shcool and I am reaching out to faculty with very little luck. No home program so I am just emailing random guys. I don't know what to do. One faculty had a meeting with me, and asked me to do a presentation and now is not responding.

I don't know what to do. I feel so depressed. I know guys who go to top schools and the amount of resources they have is amazing. I am just emailing random guys and hope one allows me to do a retrospective review. Hopeless.
(11-22-2021, 07:59 PM)Guest Wrote: I attend a bottom tier medical shcool and I am reaching out to faculty with very little luck. No home program so I am just emailing random guys. I don't know what to do. One faculty had a meeting with me, and asked me to do a presentation and now is not responding.

I don't know what to do. I feel so depressed. I know guys who go to top schools and the amount of resources they have is amazing. I am just emailing random guys and hope one allows me to do a retrospective review. Hopeless.

Fuck
(11-22-2021, 09:04 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-22-2021, 07:59 PM)Guest Wrote: I attend a bottom tier medical shcool and I am reaching out to faculty with very little luck. No home program so I am just emailing random guys. I don't know what to do. One faculty had a meeting with me, and asked me to do a presentation and now is not responding.

Fuck

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck
If you can’t figure this out you don’t belong in neurosurgery. This is a small potato problem.
(11-22-2021, 09:30 PM)Guest Wrote: If you can’t figure this out you don’t belong in neurosurgery. This is a small potato problem.

your mom is a small potato problem.

None of the neurosurgeons in my are are doing research. so I have to email far away ones. but I won't even get to meet them in person. so how will I establish a relation with them?

And even then I will only get retrospective work and maybe case file but no good research. so even if I go find work no way can i compete with the chads at top places, no way. 

no home program, no nearby neurosurgeons doing work, shit school = no hope. 

i don't understand why my parents did this to me.
Cuz they luvs U! Grow a pair and make it happen. People from fukn caribbean med schools match into NS. You have no excuse.
(11-22-2021, 09:47 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-22-2021, 09:30 PM)Guest Wrote: If you can’t figure this out you don’t belong in neurosurgery. This is a small potato problem.

your mom is a small potato problem.

None of the neurosurgeons in my are are doing research. so I have to email far away ones. but I won't even get to meet them in person. so how will I establish a relation with them?

And even then I will only get retrospective work and maybe case file but no good research. so even if I go find work no way can i compete with the chads at top places, no way. 

no home program, no nearby neurosurgeons doing work, shit school = no hope. 

i don't understand why my parents did this to me.

blaming your parents. what a piece of shit
what if u are a DO kid? they don't even consider kids from DO schools to be real drs.

i was on zoom with a neurosurgeon and he was very interested in having me work with him. then he asked my med school and he said, oh, so your an osteopath? I thought you said medical school.

imagine my pain and humiliations . after that he stopped replying.

u are completely fucked if u are a do kid. you are not even a real dr for many guys

i can't even mention my school on my resume since im a dumb DO. its over, i feel so hopeless.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)