Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow: My Investigation
The true cons are as follows:
- While residents have high operative autonomy, they have less decision making autonomy. 90% of cases are posted by attendings who independently decide when to operate; hence the residents get few opportunities to make these decisions. No county hospital, resident clinic, etc where residents own their patients and make operative decisions.
- Few basic science research opportunities
- Chief year is spent mostly doing approaches for Lawton on things that probably shouldn't be approached anymore
- Less pediatric exposure than a lot of places
- Residents don't take care of floor patients at all (pro and a con..)
- "bro"-ey culture (pro and a con)
(01-03-2022, 08:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I have never met anyone who hasn't spoken about it in the highest terms. Just being real. All my mentors told me it is excellent. I don't understand the discussion though. People know it provides great clinical training, and a good environment for clinical research. That's it. No need to compare it to the Harvards and Hopkins'

Exactly. Apart from the chair route/academic accolade mania that lives rent free in peoples minds, I’d trust a Barrow grad over Hopkins/Harvard any day with my patients.
(01-03-2022, 06:22 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 02:40 PM)Guest Wrote: I congratulate BNI on its graduates, however this list is not as good as my top 15 institution. Also, not sure I would call Carolinas academic. Excellent point too, very few can cut it in academics and then go to private practice.

I think there's a ratio of academics:private above which it's a warning sign. If you're putting 100% of your graduates into sub-specialty academic positions, either they're being brainwashed or they're not getting a well-rounded training required for a general practice environment - often both.

There is no program where 100% of ppl go into academics, not even UCSF or MGH. You can go into pp from any program and you can get into a great fellowship and go into academics from any program. Focus on doing right by patients by working hard and being a safe surgeon. The rest you can figure out afterwards. Some of the greatest surgeons were/are in academics. Some of the greatest innovators weren’t/aren’t in academics. These conversations are stupid
(01-03-2022, 11:08 PM)Guest Wrote: The true cons are as follows:
- While residents have high operative autonomy, they have less decision making autonomy. 90% of cases are posted by attendings who independently decide when to operate; hence the residents get few opportunities to make these decisions. No county hospital, resident clinic, etc where residents own their patients and make operative decisions.
- Chief year is spent mostly doing approaches for Lawton on things that probably shouldn't be approached anymore

What do you mean by approaches? Why is he using old and outdated methods?
Stupid thread and pointless. Every program has pros and cons, there is no "perfect" program but there are vetter and worse fits for you. Barrow is top-notch and 95% of all comments here support it. And like any top-notch place, there are some problems.

Your effort and dedication during residency has a far greater influence on the outcome of your career.
(01-04-2022, 02:50 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 11:08 PM)Guest Wrote: The true cons are as follows:

What do you mean by approaches? Why is he using old and outdated methods?

If you don't know what an approach is, this thread is meaningless to you
I checked out the Barrow Innovation Center, to see just what is going on. Lo and behold, they developed a "3D" N95 mask... using existing 3M technology.

https://www.barrowneuro.org/for-physicia...on-center/

Extremely disturbing.
You mean they shouldn’t have helped out producing PPE while the hospital had a shortage with the masses of 3D printers they have standing around? You might be critiquing that they celebrate this in the context of innovation but I haven’t seen many other places or companies step up and do the same, good thinking by the residents. It’s pathetic how much you want to hate the place
Why do people here worship Barrow but hate MGH? I mean, just the mention of MGH triggers a visceral hatred in the people here. Why?
Have neither seen worship, aside from jokes, nor visceral hate? MGH gets some jabs because the name is so big and many people try to put them down based on rumors of operative training deficits (autonomy, double scrubbing, etc.). They have always existed. Training, in general, underwent some changes over the last decade or two with the legal environment, and that seems to be worse on the east coast. Names like Harvard will always be under more scrutiny.
As always, just talk to mentors, do a subI (or ask other students who did), and don't listen to this forum too much

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)