Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow: My Investigation
(01-05-2022, 12:03 AM)Guest Wrote: Why do people here worship Barrow but hate MGH? I mean, just the mention of MGH triggers a visceral hatred in the people here. Why?

Not sure why it triggers hatred. But people with less exposure to the field assume that big name programs are the best for residency. MGH (stanford, yale also) is a classic example of one of the best hospitals in the world which can provide you with great research experience and prepare you well for a job in academia. But you won't graduate being able to operate like those from Barrow, Carolinas, Wash, Pitt, etc. Really depends what you want but the hate comes from assuming you can spend all of this time doing great neurosurgical research, while also being great at operating. The reality is every day, week, year you spend doing research is time in training that you aren't operating. So at the end of the day it can be the best residency for you if it aligns with your goals, but most don't want to spend a ton of time during residency doing basic science research.
(01-05-2022, 02:35 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 12:03 AM)Guest Wrote: Why do people here worship Barrow but hate MGH? I mean, just the mention of MGH triggers a visceral hatred in the people here. Why?

Not sure why it triggers hatred. But people with less exposure to the field assume that big name programs are the best for residency. MGH (stanford, yale also) is a classic example of one of the best hospitals in the world which can provide you with great research experience and prepare you well for a job in academia. But you won't graduate being able to operate like those from Barrow, Carolinas, Wash, Pitt, etc. Really depends what you want but the hate comes from assuming you can spend all of this time doing great neurosurgical research, while also being great at operating. The reality is every day, week, year you spend doing research is time in training that you aren't operating. So at the end of the day it can be the best residency for you if it aligns with your goals, but most don't want to spend a ton of time during residency doing basic science research.

I thought Carolinas (atriumhealth now) graduated their first resident 6 months ago....
Lol at Carolinas
(01-05-2022, 02:35 PM)Guest Wrote:

Carolinas... How would you be familiar with their operating ability if they didn't even graduate a resident?
Carolinas Neurosurgery and Spine is the private group at atrium health (assume that's why everyone on here calls it carolinas). They graduated their first resident. When I did a sub-I at Carolinas they had a PGY-4 splitting the fissure and clipping aneurysms while Dr. Wait (barrow grad and PD) walked him through the case. They have 7 residents and 8 ORs (3 are outpatient). Their one grad clipped over 90 aneurysms. If you don't think that's a strong operative program you just haven't seen it yet.

Carolinas is a super strong operative program, this thread is making it clear that this whole website is centered around hate
(01-06-2022, 03:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Carolinas Neurosurgery and Spine is the private group at atrium health (assume that's why everyone on here calls it carolinas). They graduated their first resident. When I did a sub-I at Carolinas they had a PGY-4 splitting the fissure and clipping aneurysms while Dr. Wait (barrow grad and PD) walked him through the case. They have 7 residents and 8 ORs (3 are outpatient). Their one grad clipped over 90 aneurysms. If you don't think that's a strong operative program you just haven't seen it yet.

Carolinas is a super strong operative program, this thread is making it clear that this whole website is centered around hate

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do in an outpatient OR? At my program we almost never operate in the outpatient ORs
(01-06-2022, 06:04 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 03:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Carolinas Neurosurgery and Spine is the private group at atrium health (assume that's why everyone on here calls it carolinas). They graduated their first resident. When I did a sub-I at Carolinas they had a PGY-4 splitting the fissure and clipping aneurysms while Dr. Wait (barrow grad and PD) walked him through the case. They have 7 residents and 8 ORs (3 are outpatient). Their one grad clipped over 90 aneurysms. If you don't think that's a strong operative program you just haven't seen it yet.

I’m not a resident at Carolinas so can’t speak for what they do but most places do MIS in their outpatient ORs. Nice for residents to get some skill working under the scope/high volume of MIS is typically the selling point.
Out of curiosity, what do you guys do in an outpatient OR? At my program we almost never operate in the outpatient ORs

>>> Observed Barrow grad walking PGY-4 through a surgery
>>>>Therefore, Carolinas = Barrow
>>>>> Therefore, Carolinas > MGH

And if you disagree, you are centered around hate.
(01-06-2022, 08:19 PM)Guest Wrote:

>>> Observed Barrow grad walking PGY-4 through a surgery
>>>>Therefore, Carolinas = Barrow
>>>>> Therefore, Carolinas > MGH

And if you disagree, you are centered around hate.

Bro he didn’t say Carolinas>MGH lol he said different residencies have different goals. MGH wants to put people on academia, he just gave Carolinas as an example that prioritizes operating. Sheesh
people say MGH gets hate when MGH fans just put words into others' mouths and are oversensitive about the fact that they're just not a program known for operative training.
It is a very simple fact that, if you put a lot of emphasis on academic training, attract basic science people and allow 2 full years off, your program will produce academic leaders but they won't go out as operatively well-trained as other programs that put their emphasis on clinical training only. You can't have it both ways, and there's nothing wrong with that. Our field needs both graduates

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)