Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Program
(01-09-2022, 06:18 PM)Guest Wrote: Agree with several points made above but at the same time any decent applicant will be able to find a "good fit" at at least a handful of programs. It's not unreasonable to consider that the opportunities for the same graduate (putting in the work wherever they go) may be different depending on if they graduate from program x, y, or z.

I agree with that. If anything the advantage of the "top" programs is that they have more professional/research opportunities, and faculty usually more connected. 

What i was trying to convey was that the advantage NOT because only the top programs have the best neurosurgery faculty, and it's pure ignorance to claim you get subpar OR and clinical training anywhere but the top.
The issue is everyone reveals their bias by suggesting that top-notch research programs cannot co-exist with top-notch clinical training programs. They exist. I can think of several.
(01-09-2022, 04:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Wisconsin is T25 easy if you control for location.

100%
(01-09-2022, 04:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Wisconsin is T25 easy if you control for location.

Definitely an acquired taste, but this is a perfect example of how, barring recruitment opportunities, the top programs for each person depend on their own preferences, not some random ranking or internet person’s opinion
If u tell anyone u are trailing at Wisconsin or Indiana no one says WOW. They will say, wow, congrats or good but it never inspires admiration.

If you train at like Yale or brown or Harvard or or Dartmouth or Mayo literally everyone says WOW, even though some of those are not very good programs. So they say WOW you are at Yale for neurosurgery. I know a genius who went to Yale for college or law, and you being at Yale for neurosurgery u must be even smarter than him!! Same for Dartmouth and brown.

So that’s a big factor also.
(01-11-2022, 07:45 PM)Guest Wrote: If u tell anyone u are trailing at Wisconsin or Indiana no one says WOW. They will say, wow, congrats or good but it never inspires admiration.

If you train at like Yale or brown or Harvard or or Dartmouth or Mayo literally everyone says WOW, even though some of those are not very good programs. So they say WOW you are at Yale for neurosurgery. I know a genius who went to Yale for college or law, and you being at Yale for neurosurgery u must be even smarter than him!! Same for Dartmouth and brown.

Give me 7 years of training with Dempsey, Resnick and Baskaya over impressing random laymen with Ivy League names anyday.
(01-11-2022, 08:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 07:45 PM)Guest Wrote: If u tell anyone u are trailing at Wisconsin or Indiana no one says WOW. They will say, wow, congrats or good but it never inspires admiration.

Agree Wisconsin is severely underrated as a program, probably because it is in the Midwest, which is not as “sexy” as being in New York or Los Angeles. Mayo definitely doesn’t belong with those other three programs aside from the name recognition to the lay public. Operative experience is way better and APP support makes residency more conducive to working on your own priorities. 
Give me 7 years of training with Dempsey, Resnick and Baskaya over impressing random laymen with Ivy League names anyday.
(01-11-2022, 09:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 08:21 PM)Guest Wrote:

Agree Wisconsin is severely underrated as a program, probably because it is in the Midwest, which is not as “sexy” as being in New York or Los Angeles. Mayo definitely doesn’t belong with those other three programs aside from the name recognition to the lay public. Operative experience is way better and APP support makes residency more conducive to working on your own priorities. 

The amount of MGH/BWH disdain among this small pool of posters is perplexing…
Any programs stand out or surprise anyone this year?
I thought USF and Memphis were awesome

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)