Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match 2017-2018
What are my chances with a 218 Step 1?
(08-01-2017, 10:01 PM)Guest Wrote: What are my chances with a 218 Step 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk
(08-01-2017, 10:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 10:01 PM)Guest Wrote: What are my chances with a 218 Step 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk

PC at my school was talking about a girl who begged to get onto the interview waitlist with a <200 Step 1. They put her on it out of the kindness of their hearts, but she kept pestering them for where she was on the list and how to move up and enough was enough. They set her straight. 

The point of that story was that it could always be worse.
People with pretty terrible scores have matched at great programs, including this past cycle.
Don't bank on a great outcome, but there is some hope
(08-02-2017, 05:50 AM)Guest Wrote: People with pretty terrible scores have matched at great programs, including this past cycle.
Don't bank on a great outcome, but there is some hope

I didn't know that, is this a common knowledge kind of thing? Who got a low step score and matched at a great program, I need to hit them up for advice
Quote:I didn't know that, is this a common knowledge kind of thing? Who got a low step score and matched at a great program, I need to hit them up for advice

Better make sure you are MD/PhD with significant research while also getting your home program big-name Chair to call his buddies on your behalf.
(08-02-2017, 07:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
Quote:I didn't know that, is this a common knowledge kind of thing? Who got a low step score and matched at a great program, I need to hit them up for advice

Better make sure you are MD/PhD with significant research while also getting your home program big-name Chair to call his buddies on your behalf.
At that point, wouldn't it be more favorable to try to match into your own home program?
(08-02-2017, 07:59 PM)Guest Wrote:

At that point, wouldn't it be more favorable to try to match into your own home program?

Maybe the step score was too low for that option?

If you want to match into a good program with low step scores you better be excellent in other areas or very well-connected. Otherwise, odds are stacked against you. Just my honest 2 cents.

I don't believe the most egregious example of this from the last cycle was an MD/PhD, just an MD with significant research.
I believe there are two prominent examples from this past cycle, which you can look into through other threads on this forum.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)