Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This whole process has me just miserable
I just can't keep up anymore.  How do you guys all have 250s on both Step 1 and 2, 13+ publications, all Honors on your rotations, 3 sub Is, and 4 letters.  This is just insane.  

I feel so inadequate and miserable.  I have a Step 1 closer to the national average than neurosurgery average, can't fit in Step 2 while I'm on sub Is, and got a mix of H and HP this year.  I hope to finish up strong on my Sub Is and get solid letters.  Luckily I do have close to the mark on the research but I've heard so many people tell me that is the least important aspect.  

I just feel like giving up so many times during the day.  Nothing I ever do will be good enough.
(06-21-2017, 09:54 PM)miserable Wrote: I just can't keep up anymore.  How do you guys all have 250s on both Step 1 and 2, 13+ publications, all Honors on your rotations, 3 sub Is, and 4 letters.  This is just insane.  

I feel so inadequate and miserable.  I have a Step 1 closer to the national average than neurosurgery average, can't fit in Step 2 while I'm on sub Is, and got a mix of H and HP this year.  I hope to finish up strong on my Sub Is and get solid letters.  Luckily I do have close to the mark on the research but I've heard so many people tell me that is the least important aspect.  

I just feel like giving up so many times during the day.  Nothing I ever do will be good enough.

You're not alone, so many people are just trolling this website. the match rate of those with near 240 is still above 80% and once this is over, you'll never think of it again. So many better things to spend your time thinking about if possible. You've done a large majority of the heavy lifting in regards to your application, now just enjoy learning about neurosurgery
With a self-defeating attitude like that, it will never be a good enough.

Control what you can. Remember, you just need to click with one program to continue chasing your dream.
Keep pushing my friend, I got into a top program with low 200 Step 1. Like someone said above, it just takes one amazing interview
keep going my friend.

And i have to say, its really refreshing to see the supportive posts above after seeing all the trolling and bashing going on.
I think this website cultivates an atmosphere of unobtainable achievement similar to SDN for premeds. You don't need a superstar application to match NSG. It isn't derm or plastics, but it is competitive. Sure grades, research and scores are important. Doing well on clerkships and aways are important. Getting good letters and interviewing well is important. Being average or sub-par in a few of these categories will not kill your application. Being average on a few of these isn't going to wreck your application, but holistically being a sub-par candidate will.
Funny thing too is that many of those who troll and/or boast on here about being above average in all numerical categories (mostly scores an pubs) are likely to be complete tools in person (evidenced by the fact that they would make largely unsolicited comments about their good scores) ... and on Sub Is and interviews, we can all pick out such tools from a mile away. And a 260 board score and 15 publications does not make up for being a socially awkward weirdo...
(06-22-2017, 11:40 AM)Percheron Wrote: [...] we can all pick out such tools from a mile away. And a 260 board score and 15 publications does not make up for being a socially awkward weirdo...

So true.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)