Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 3 bottom 3
(03-06-2022, 01:07 AM)Guest Wrote: Why is Penn so high on everyone’s list?

I don't understand this either. They take Q3 call for basically 2.5-3 years, while not actually getting to operate until late in residency. Essentially zero vascular service. No big names in spine. They have CHOP where you do a bunch of floor work and close skin while the fellows and attendings operate. Quite a few residents talked about how great New Zealand was because they finally got to do critical parts of the case.

Top 3: Mayo, Barrow, UW

Bottom 3: UCSD, Wake Forest, Yale

What’s the deal with Yale
Why is everyone ranking Mayo over Barrow?
(03-06-2022, 02:58 PM)Guest Wrote: Why is everyone ranking Mayo over Barrow?

I think it's a close call and very personal choice. My impression is that the research and lifestyle were a little bit better at Mayo. Also more flexibility with getting to split up the 2 years of elective time, CAST fellowship, etc.
Top: NYU, Jeff, Miami

Bottom: UChicago, Rutgers, Mayo Jax

Mayo wins in everything except location, so basically if you need to be in a big city you will do barrow otherwise go for mayo. There is something to be said about Mayo being the best hospital in the world and the guy you call a consult for is the top of their respective field as well, whereas at barrow everyone else in the hospital is literally just a random community hospital like you would find in a farm town or something it just seems like it will ultimately limit them to be nothing but a neurosurgery dept without a world class hospital and university associated
(03-06-2022, 07:46 PM)Guest Wrote:

Mayo wins in everything except location, so basically if you need to be in a big city you will do barrow otherwise go for mayo. There is something to be said about Mayo being the best hospital in the world and the guy you call a consult for is the top of their respective field as well, whereas at barrow everyone else in the hospital is literally just a random community hospital like you would find in a farm town or something it just seems like it will ultimately limit them to be nothing but a neurosurgery dept without a world class hospital and university associated

Yea i don't give a shit if the nephrologist i'm consulting is well published. Give me weekends in Scottsdale and Sedona over Rochester. The neurosurgery experience and job prospects are pretty much equal
(03-06-2022, 08:46 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 07:46 PM)Guest Wrote:

Yea i don't give a shit if the nephrologist i'm consulting is well published. Give me weekends in Scottsdale and Sedona over Rochester. The neurosurgery experience and job prospects are pretty much equal

I rotated at both and agree that the job prospects between the 2 are comparable. Also agree that neph/ID/random services don't matter that much. That being said, having top notch cardiology/trauma/gen surg to come help is a nice bonus for your sick ICU patients when shit hits the fan. At Mayo, having top tier ortho was helpful for a few things: 1) nice interdisciplinary spine conferences, 2) to share the spine call/DISH fracture disasters with, and 3) high end peripheral nerve stuff (tumors, brachial plexus reconstruction) for those interested in that. The oncology/skull base/spine tumor volume and research opportunities were really good since Mayo is a major cancer hospital (comparable to MDA/Sloan). I acknowledge that this probably doesn't matter for most people but it was definitely noticeable.
Top: Ohio State, UF, UNC.

Bottom: UIC, Louisville, SLU.

Thought more about trajectory/which program will be the best when I graduate.
(03-06-2022, 10:42 PM)Guest Wrote: Top: Ohio State, UF, UNC.

I liked Ohio State until their residents started openly joking about pedophilia during the pre-interview social. Way too many of the residents were loving it, still can’t believe how long it was allowed to go on. Dropped them to the bottom of my rank list before the interview even started.
(03-06-2022, 11:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 10:42 PM)Guest Wrote: Top: Ohio State, UF, UNC.

I liked Ohio State until their residents started openly joking about pedophilia during the pre-interview social. Way too many of the residents were loving it, still can’t believe how long it was allowed to go on. Dropped them to the bottom of my rank list before the interview even started.

Ya I can see that affecting rank haha. I actually got them ranked super high as well (over places like Emory and USC even) I thought residents seemed happy and had families etc and lonser seems like he’s a man on a mission to build something great

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)