Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boards this year 2022
Is it common for interns to pass?
I was close to passing as an intern without studying. I think what makes it harder to pass as an intern is that very little of the information on the test is learned from day-to-day clinical care. This means you have to go out of your way to study. The demanding schedule as an intern is what makes it harder during that year. I passed during my PGY-2 year after casual/moderate studying.
I wonder how many people get 100 Percentiles?
I think it is appropriate to expect that with no studying whatsoever you would be able to pass the boards just from residency training. Doing well on the boards is a different animal. There is several magnitudes of difference in effort between passing and being a high scorer.
Does the score even matter?
(04-27-2023, 11:55 AM)Guest Wrote: Does the score even matter?

Not for any practical purpose (jobs, fellowships, etc) but some programs will reward and/or punish you depending on your score.
They publish the table of percentile to percent questions correct. As a consequence of releasing banks of test questions through the abns and cns websites, the curve has become very steep over the past couple years. I suspect that it is much less common for interns to pass without studying now compared to a few years ago.
I know of a PGY 4 in a Midwest program who got a 100 percentile...
Anyone who gets higher than a 90% needs to operate more
Heard Dr. Rolle scored a 98th percentile couple years back

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)