Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re-applicant chances
Today is match day. Did OP match?
naw, didnt match....bittersweet..

But hey, I tried my best in med school, got 10+ pubs, about 240 on step, did well on my 1 subI (covid year). Sometimes pursuing a competitive field from a low-teir MD school as a 26yo brown guy is hard.

I will say one thing I wish I had done more was network in conferences. But I just could not afford them $600 registration fees + $200 flight + $150 for 1 conference I attended. Regardless, at the end of the day its only my fault I didnt match. Not affirmative action, not timing, not politics, not money etc.

I did learn a lot about work ethic, principles, and pursuit of excellence from neurosurgeons, residents, interview trail, and even neurosurgeryhub lolol. I guess trying to become a neurosurgeon in med school teaches you how to be excellent in anything even if you dont end up becoming one. I worked alongside categorical general surgery residents as a preliminary surgery resident and they sucked clinically and academically and had no desire to become better. I did better than 95 percent of them in the in-service exam lol.

matched into something else, still be over half in million in salary, half the work hours without call and without weekends lol. Although im not happy right now with the match results, 15 years ago when my parents where making combined 24k a year, I would kill to be in the position I am in rn.

peace neurosurgery people!
Wow nice comment, are you 1 gen immigrant? It’s nothing to laugh at. What speciality did you go into, rads? But as you alluded to, connections matter a ton and sometimes you just can’t get them if you start out low. Good luck!
I left a neurosurgery program for professionalism. Will good conduct in a preresidency fellowship trump my past. I really do feel like what happened to me was unfair and there was some favoritism involved. My gut feeling.
You need to explain what happened before others can give you advice
Conflicts with coresidents I didn’t get along with. That’s it. I’m intense how I reacted, but that’s because I was bullied and not treated like the rest. My knowledge and skills were fine.
Depends. Is your former program willing to write you a decent LOR? This will obviously come up when you reapply so having them vouch for you is key
Yes and they actually spoke to some programs, those programs then interviewed me AFTER talking to my PD.
Then no it will not benefit you if you already have PD support. That being said, if you need a job while looking for a new spot....
Why are programs not allowed to "back-fill"

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)