Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-residency Fellowship
(06-15-2023, 02:58 PM)Guest Wrote: I couldn’t agree more. Professional jealousy is probably the root cause.
We have a friendly and gentle foreign resident that outshines the other ones to the point that some of their co-residents start making up stories to denigrate their reputation with the chair, attendings, and OR team.
Although not clinical positions, same applies to research fellows who spent year after year publishing dozens of papers for the minimal chance of a vague letter of recommendation. By the time of application comes some residents start making up stories, specially those who have less pubs than the applicant.

If you are a foreign MD or student, I would encourage you to research the trajectory of the team you are about to join. Reach out to previous pre residency or research fellows. Don’t join a program blindly! It can cost you years of “unproductive” career.

Moral of the story. Keep your accomplishments to yourself and in general, keep to yourself. Appear as an enigma. Hunt your prey, but in silence. Don't let your program's twitter pages publish your accomplishments. It will breed jealously.

Most importantly, don't boast or try to blatantly overpower your co-residents (until you're a senior resident and your program knows what you're capable of). People are afraid of up and comers. It's a lot like professional sports. No one likes the rookie that dominates veteran players.
Will a 2nd pre residency fellowship help… Are the connections that instrumental into getting a residency slot? I’ve got solid recommendations from my first one, thinking a second could help expand network. Others tell me don’t waste a year doing slave labor. Thoughts?
DO NOT DO IT
Well, it depends on the place.
Where are you thinking?
What places would you do it?
Get feedback from someone you trust to make sure you’re targeting the highest yield deficiency. There’s usually something wrong with the application if you’re not matching. International transcript that’s difficult to interpret or letters from people nobody knows? Work with someone who knows a lot of people and can vouch for you (also be honest with yourself about whether you’ve done well enough to be vouched for). Need more research? Go somewhere research heavy that can help you be productive inside of a year. Too long since being a doctor? Do prelim gen surg or a clinically focused fellowship. Bad application in general? Reevaluate your strategy and take a serious look at whether your plans make sense for you. It’s easier to gain insight and change plans than to lose five years doing grunt work and end up no better afterwards.
I’ve interviewed multiple places. They don’t provide feedback. Obviously something is good, as all the interviews occur after they talk to my prior PD and references, and the fact I’ve received a handful of interviews. But then I get rejected after my interview. Usually it’s a PD wanting me, then a chairman not wanting to move forward. Or there isn’t a unanimous decision by a residency board to bring me on.

The program just ghosts me when ask for feedback. My previous PD says to just keep trying my best. I’d prefer constructive feedback on how to improve but some of the process seems more like luck, being in the right political setting, than actual objective success.
Maybe something is wrong with interviews? not sure if you are IMG, but for a foreigner it is hard to navigate American cultural norms. In, fact it is difficult for Americans to do so.

A lot of people will write you off because of unconscious racism, especially if you behave slightly different.

I suffered from this in pre-med, even though I was born in USA.
That’s correct. Even if you have tried really really hard, PDs have unconscious bias. Sometimes they ask for feedback from the wrong people, who might not like you despite the fact that they appeared to be super nice.
Another factor is to question the cohort of residents, are there IMGs? Why did the IMGs match? Did IMGs match because of personal merit, strong record of research/clinical experience, familiar connection?
I would advice targeting programs that match IMGs based on merits like Vandy, UMiami, UMinnesota, MayoRST/FL, MGH, UIowa, etc.
Do you think a second PRF will help overcome the above issue? I don’t think so, because I think I have the strong support, it’s just the way I am interviewing may come off negative. I interview with no BS, I don’t pad things to make them “hear what they want to hear”. I believe in being honest.

I want to be a private practice doc, don’t have that much interest in research as I won’t be doing it as an attending. To me, many people are doing BS publications that are repeats of old data or nothing spectacular in neurosurgery- not really advancing the field, but more as a trophy for “I got a pub”. Which for me I never understood the need to pub # brag. I wouldn’t mind research if it was cutting edge and was financially compensated well for the time.

People complain about “don’t do it for the money”, but in the end everything is about money. I see daily docs complaint about Medicare reimbursement rates. Moving due to salary discussions. People on FIRE forums. I say it how it is, many are afraid to speak up.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)