Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-residency Fellowship
BNI is the gold standard of neurosurgery residency. Spetzler legacy is unbeatable.
Wasn’t someone fired from BNI, but now at New Mexico? If he got fired, then how or why did someone let him back in. There are numerous free agents wanting to know how that worked. Then these free agents can make a plan.
Most free agents don’t have 600k in loans
600k loan is not a choice for some. Going to top undegrad and graduate schools. With wealthy parents it disqualifies, especially those with wealthy parents who don’t believe in paying for everything.
I’ve yet to hear of successful re-entry after “firing/termination” of resident, which even creates issues/barriers with licensing boards. I heard BNI resident wasn’t fired, circumstances were different.
Most residents aren’t fired, most are “force to resign”. I know over 10 people in the case. I know 3 that got in through presidency fellowships, 1 that was fired but an old coresident became attending at new place and got him back on, 1 through a non-acgme fellowship, and 2 who were on probation or about to be fired but convinced another program to take them. The other 3, 1 went to neuro IR, the other radiology. All of these people have done extremely well, their only issue were personality conflicts which happen in life. I even know one where a program admin apologized to a resident they fired and said it was one the worst decisions they made and regrets it.

All of the frites get licensing because the boards realize the paperwork to get them out was all petty stuff. Take for example “documenting foot sensation on an amputee”. Obv, this was an excuse to write someone up, as I have seen worse documentation and careless copy/paste templates. Others are “wasn’t teachable or open to criticism”…you know it’s hard to think someone who made it through years of undergrads and med school at the top and matched into neurosurgery wasn’t teachable. There is hardly anything “huge” that gets these residents out. I get it if someone did some Dr Death stuff.

But I’ve seen multiple residents late for rounds repeatedly, go home while supposed to be in house on call and dont see consults for hours, M&Ms happen due to carelessness, attendings making patient gay and fat jokes, leaving multiple errors in documentation, yelling at OR staff, etc. I’ve seen people show up after drinking downtown show up for a consult, multiple times.

Every person in residency has done stuff that can get them fired. It’s when they want you out they pick and choose the ammo to load to document and get you out.
This is insightful post, as many firings seem to occur due to personality conflicts / misfit and residents have left to be successful in other programs,, may advise those struggling to identify these issues and plan exit strategy prior to point of probation / termination
(06-24-2023, 02:01 PM)Guest Wrote: 600k loan is not a choice for some. Going to top undegrad and graduate schools. With wealthy parents it disqualifies, especially those with wealthy parents who don’t believe in paying for everything.

If you don’t qualify for need based fin aid (and are consistently not getting any merit aid from any school) then you are effectively a low income student, so you should have been making your financial considerations with that in mind. Plenty of low income top students are forced to turn down better schools because of the loan burden. All it takes is one injury or significant life event for you to be unable to complete your training but still be on the hook for what you took out. I think you’re in this situation because you turned down quality schools believing that prestige would make you god among men and that attitude ultimately got you get go from residency. It’s time to flee the country and hide out in Venezuala or China for a few years or fake your death to get out of these loans.
What is with these pathetic demeaning comments? I actually went to the only med school I was accepted at, which happened to be a top school. I wish I went to a cheaper school, but you have to go where accepted.
^How you respond to these comments further confirms my suspicion that you have narcissistic personality disorder. Someone with NPD cannot tolerate even the slightest bit of criticism without getting extremely butt hurt. I'm assuming that your personality issues ultimately got you kicked out of your program.

P.S. It's an anonymous internet forum. You're not going to find warm fuzzy comments here.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)