Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-residency Fellowship
What happened to SLU pre-residency fellowship?
It moved to another country so the fellows don’t need to travel.
Do you think a pre-residency fellowship can help someone get back into residency? Why or why not? Looking for critical feedback. To me it only seems recent good recommendations trump old ones.
If I had 600k in loans and no job I'd be doing more than posting on an anonymous forum dominated by premeds and IMGs...
There we go another assumption. I currently have a job in tech making only 300k plus a bonus. Boring work not fulfilling like neurosurgery. I like Neurosurgery not just for the money, but I’m also very passionate and it is very rewarding to help patients in need while also having fun performing surgery, there’s not many fields where you can listen to music and use your hands to save a life.
300k is fantastic
"only 300k". This attitude is why you got let go from your program. Doubt you'll get another chance elsewhere
It’s enough to be comfortable living like a resident, but being deep in the debt hole and with taxes and loan payments it’s really like I’m living on tad over 100k which for 14+ years of education is embarrassing. Especially when others my same age started working at age 22 making 6 figures and saved and invested. I on the other hand have nothing to show for my time in medicine. Years lost.

300k is nowhere near 1 mil. That’s life changing money.I had a contract preview for a 1.25 mil salary based on RVU amount with bonus in residency. Not that money matters. But having a lot of money frees you to follow passions and not care about money. Become an advocate. Do charity work. Do cool world moving things having a job that is fun aka neurosurgery makes life so much more pleasant.
^This is the same guy for reference:

"I want to be a private practice doc, don’t have that much interest in research as I won’t be doing it as an attending. To me, many people are doing BS publications that are repeats of old data or nothing spectacular in neurosurgery- not really advancing the field, but more as a trophy for “I got a pub”. Which for me I never understood the need to pub # brag. I wouldn’t mind research if it was cutting edge and was financially compensated well for the time.

People complain about “don’t do it for the money”, but in the end everything is about money. I see daily docs complaint about Medicare reimbursement rates. Moving due to salary discussions. People on FIRE forums. I say it how it is, many are afraid to speak up."

Stop changing your story and own your intentions. You're in it for the money and need cash to pay off your titanic loans amount before you sink. Your bad attitude and "no nonsense" attitude made you a nightmare to work with and your program let you go to stop the bleeding. Keep climbing the ladder at your tech job and you'll make good money soon enough.
That is not a change in story. I have a passion for neurosurgery too. It is fun to do. And is compensated well for the work done. If you don't think people are in it for the money, go see a neurosurgeon get upset when a center offered them 350k to start. I have had a friend offered that in neurosurgery. He laughed. If it wasn't about the money, then its like take the job - if you are truly passionate. I know someone offered 600k for private practice, on call all the time, and they were upset. Tell these people to stop their attitude with money and be grateful.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)