Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NS Match becoming easier (Proof)
There are 33+ programs not at full resident complement. Looking for a PGY3/4/5 spot and have full positive support from my previous program. I email PDs and they all say “not backfilling”. What are the reasons for this? That seems to be a waste of 33+ positions that many would love to obtain. Some have a plethora of surgical experience and even passed the written boards trying to get back in. Why would a program not take someone when another program gives good support?

Any thoughts? PD advice would help!
Which spots went unfilled this match?
I do not recall the reason that was given but a few years back programs were told to stop at least some types of back filling. I don't recall if it was from the ACGME or SNS.
Quote:Less applicants and 3 spots were unfilled. Objectively less competitive now.

Wow thats good to hear. Do you have specific numbers on # of applicants by any chance? Its so hard to get actual numbers, so I just have to piece together information to get a clearer picture of how the match is like. 

Thank you

Quote:Focus Wrote:

Other than the fact that they are straw man arguments? Everyone is getting better at studying. Everyone is getting better at publishing therefore, these things do not prove it is getting easier to be a neurosurgeon. You have no actual evidence except for stating that it is so. Pull up charting the match and use some evidence as the basis of your arguments. I personally would say it is staying about the same.

Oh ok that's some good points. 

I will look at that. I was just looking at Twitter and the people who matched and a lot of them are not what you might consider a star researchers. Also, top schools like Harvard/Yale/USCF/NYU seem to be sending hardly any kids into NS nowadays. So it seems like the top students are going to derm/ortho/Optho/ENT etc which makes sense as those specialities are less work-oriented. 

Its hard to get actual numbers but I'll look for them. I think however we are seeing a large cultural shift so NS--with its emphasis on work above all--is becoming less attractive. 

At least, I hope this is the case.
Programs very skeptical about taking in someone who is leaving another program. Generally it is not because they are great and a valued member of the residency…
I personally know 3 neurosurgery residents who were viewed as crappy residents at previous programs who then excelled at a new program. Cliques and politics are unfortunate part of life. Sometimes a new environment can make a huge difference.

The majority of "firings" have nothing to do with academic or clinical performance. It usually has been due to interpersonal relationships which is then slapped on as "professionalism". Many forums discuss this throughout many fields of medicine. Unfortunately, since there is a "match system". we aren't a regular employee who can just leave one place and go to another easily. It makes for a hard road for a resident who is displaced.
No way it’d becoming easier. The quality of the applicants we interview each year continues to improve.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)