Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to do research effectively?
(05-31-2023, 04:16 PM)Guest Wrote: The dirty secret is PD’s don’t actually care about the quality of pubs or the number of them. As long as you show you can do some, that’ll suffice. The even dirtier secret is all the publication whore Med students who are desperately trying to get into a “top” program will eventually realize too late that they’re not going to be academic surgeons (and those who are will be miserable) and they’re going to wind up in private practice anyway, but they’ll just be worse operators than those who went to workhorse programs but actually learned neurosurgery

I'd modify this a bit. If you're a T20 student, then publications will help differentiate you from the other T20 students who are also aiming for top programs. If you're outside the T20, then no amount of publications will help you.
^Simply not true. Look at the residents from any program.
In real academia quality > quantity to an extent. Basic science > clinical research. On the extreme end, publishing a singular Nature/Cell/Science paper every 2-3 years won’t cut it. Similarly, no one cares about having 50+ papers in world neurosurgery or Cureus unless you’re trying to meet a quota.

Depends on who is reading your app for the sake of residency. Most ppl will zone out after seeing 10+ abstracts and papers. If you can have 4-5 clinical papers as 1-2nd author or a couple basic science/top journal publications then you’re good. The applicants with a ridiculous number of pubs usually were involved in some database formation or are benefit from a home program where they don’t have to do much data collection.
Just got a 205 on step 2. I have 1 abstract and 1 letter to the editor. I go to Harvard medical school. Don’t care where I match as long as I do. Do I have a shot?
You have higher chances than an IMG unless you have connections.^
My dad is a chair at a t10 school but in another speciality. Hope his influence can help out but not sure it will since it’s at a competitive place
Sure you can. I know a resident who is a slacker at a top place, and the spot was literally built for her. It only takes a call.
That’s a relief. In my M3 year so don’t have time to get any significant research in before ERAS. Will definitely have my dad start calling around for me
"I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine." I'll get your child into my program, if you'll get mine into yours.
No BS. A med student matched into the program that the clinical fellow was graduating from. Then, the clinical fellow ended up in the student program as faculty.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)