Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UC Irvine
(02-08-2018, 02:45 AM)Guest Wrote: They need at least one big name to compete

That doesn't make any sense. UCSD has no names anymore after Chen and Carter left and people aren't telling anyone to avoid them. Davis has never had a big name really. 

I think OP is saying they only got a West coast interview at UCI? Idk but I would say, where there's smoke there's fire. Don't take warnings even anonymous ones too lightly
UCSD has a lot of big names: Khalessi, Ciacci, Taylor, Schwartz, Levy, outstanding residents...
UCSD is over-discussed on this board. New chairman, big deal. Blah blah blah. But I agree has plenty of very well known and well respected people.

Frank Hsu (UCI) has one of the busiest and most diverse practices in the country
UC Irvine has changed a lot over the past few years. I believe they are a program on the rise. I'm at a resident at one of the "reputable" California programs and I can tell you that our chairman is pushing us to do a fellowship with Dr. Hsu, he's considered one of the best on the west coast. There are a lot of transitions taking place in California. UCSD is having trouble keeping their faculty now that they announced their new chair. UCLA is also in a big scramble now that Liau is chair. How is it possible that husband and wife are chairman and program director respectively? From what I hear, UCI is very busy and they have a reputable and established chairman. I know they fired two residents in the past but I believe that was during the Delashaw era. I hear they have a great group of residents now. They absorbed two from another program and are set to expand their residency soon.
it wasn't during the delashaw era..
UCSD is a great program in transition
UCI might actually be on the turn up. Have heard various previous naysayers indicate as much. If you're invested in going west and it's your only option, I wouldn't be scared.
I agree with previous post, they definitely need a big name and I heard they are recruiting hard from ucsf and Hopkins

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)