Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overcoming poor didactic grades as an MD PhD
(04-18-2024, 03:15 PM)Guest Wrote: OP here

Interesting.. why are Yale, Stanford, and Michigan considered less competitive in those list. I figured those would be up there along the likes of the other schools you mentioned. Stanford would be a dream for me.

Also just to clarify, I have a poor STEP 1 not a STEP 2 score. I'm a bit surprised that it seems this important especially when most of the non md phds i'll be competing with will have a pass/fail score. Would a poor step 1 really matter that much assuming my clerkships/step 2 are up to par?

OP again- To the poster who said I should "double down on MGH-esque" programs... what exactly do you mean? MGH as in Mass General Hospital? I would have assumed that would also be a very competitive program based on name alone. I'm new to these forums and feel like I'm missing something here with the recommendations since some of these (e.g. stanford, MGH) are what I would assume to be highly competitive institutions that I have no chance at.

By "less competitive" I mean they are not top 5, they are still great programs that are competitive. In my opinion you have no chance at those top programs, but those great research programs on the next level like Stanford are your ceiling. I still they would be a reach but a great performance at a Sub-I can outweigh everything. I would rotate at one of those if I was in your position.

The other programs I would focus on are those connected to a large university (like Yale, UNC, etc), ideally with a faculty member that does research similar to your PhD. If you can connect with a faculty member like that they will influence the rank meeting heavily.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)