Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to plan on SOAPing?
Michigan State is starting a new residency.
https://spectrumhealthgme.org/programs/n...l-surgery/
Apply there if you really think you won't have a chance at matching somewhere, or consider dual-applying. I doubt many US seniors will apply there though so odds are better. Matching at a new program beats not matching at all in my mind.
(09-28-2017, 11:11 PM)Guest Wrote: I think it is time to panic now.  I need some benzos and whiskey.  Neurosurgery was just never meant to be.  Sorry to myself and my parents for trying.

1- More than half of the programs have not yet sent out invites. 
2- Many that have sent out invites or that will, tend to send out in multiple waves. 
3- Many program tend to invite applicants who are above their level. Once those people turn down the invites or cancel scheduled interviews, the programs go down their list and get more realistic with invites. 
4- Invites can go out even in February. Some programs find a short-coming in their pool of interviewed candidates and add more dates late in the season. 
5- Instead of panic, get in touch with your home PD or Chair, or Dean or any surgeon and ask then to make a few calls on your behalf. 
6- If you have any update on your resume, i.e. Step 2 score, new publication, etc., contact programs that you are really interested in and feel qualified for,  express your great interest and say that you want to make sure they get this update. 

Sure others have even better ideas to share. Remember, in NSG there is no quitting or panicking allowed. Only option is to get the job done.
(09-29-2017, 03:01 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-28-2017, 11:11 PM)Guest Wrote: I think it is time to panic now.  I need some benzos and whiskey.  Neurosurgery was just never meant to be.  Sorry to myself and my parents for trying.

1- More than half of the programs have not yet sent out invites. 
2- Many that have sent out invites or that will, tend to send out in multiple waves. 
3- Many program tend to invite applicants who are above their level. Once those people turn down the invites or cancel scheduled interviews, the programs go down their list and get more realistic with invites. 
4- Invites can go out even in February. Some programs find a short-coming in their pool of interviewed candidates and add more dates late in the season. 
5- Instead of panic, get in touch with your home PD or Chair, or Dean or any surgeon and ask then to make a few calls on your behalf. 
6- If you have any update on your resume, i.e. Step 2 score, new publication, etc., contact programs that you are really interested in and feel qualified for,  express your great interest and say that you want to make sure they get this update. 

Sure others have even better ideas to share. Remember, in NSG there is no quitting or panicking allowed. Only option is to get the job done.

Great post thank you.
Is now, the middle of October, a good time to start taking initiative to contact programs for those of us stuck at < 8 interviews? Or is there still time for people to cancel and spread some love?
I don’t know man. Hard to tell. I do think there are more cancellations particularly when Hopkins, UCSF, and MGH. But it might not be a bad idea to start talking with your PD, or dean of students for strategy planning

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)