Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.18 Average
Pimp Questions
(10-12-2017, 07:05 PM)Guest Wrote: I recommend essential neirosurgery by Kaye to start out. Good introduction to neurosurgical problems. Most pimping questions are about anatomy and radiology  so review this as much as possible- include spine anatomy. Greenbergs anatomy section is good to learn the different branches of major arteries you learned in neuroanatomy. Neurosurgery explained has good chapters on anatomy and neuroradiology.
Some topics that come to mind are head trauma, indications for ICP monitoring, tiers of treatment for elevated ICP, SAH, TLICS, Spetzler-Martin grading, indications for treating subdurals and epiduural hematoma. There are more topics than i can remember right now.
If you are willing and able to read Greenberg before your rotation, then more power to you. I have heard people have done it. I used it throughout my rotation to read about my cases. I recommend supplementing your reading with the neuroanatomy books you used for preclinical years.
Best of luck!

Super helpful thank you. Exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.
(10-12-2017, 08:00 PM)bregma Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 07:05 PM)Guest Wrote: I recommend essential neirosurgery by Kaye to start out. Good introduction to neurosurgical problems. Most pimping questions are about anatomy and radiology  so review this as much as possible- include spine anatomy. Greenbergs anatomy section is good to learn the different branches of major arteries you learned in neuroanatomy. Neurosurgery explained has good chapters on anatomy and neuroradiology.
Some topics that come to mind are head trauma, indications for ICP monitoring, tiers of treatment for elevated ICP, SAH, TLICS, Spetzler-Martin grading, indications for treating subdurals and epiduural hematoma. There are more topics than i can remember right now.
If you are willing and able to read Greenberg before your rotation, then more power to you. I have heard people have done it. I used it throughout my rotation to read about my cases. I recommend supplementing your reading with the neuroanatomy books you used for preclinical years.
Best of luck!

You are welcome! Also, here is a link from UH that gives suggestions on what to study.

https://web.archive.org/web/201105181145...read/1692/
(10-12-2017, 09:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 08:00 PM)bregma Wrote:
Best of luck!

You are welcome! Also, here is a link from UH that gives suggestions on what to study.

https://web.archive.org/web/201105181145...read/1692/
This is gold. Thanks a ton.
Would the text "Neurosurgery Rounds: Q & A" be worthwhile to memorize before SubI? It lends itself perfectly to anki format and there are only about 1600 questions so it wouldn't take much time to do. I should say that I'm doing an extended research year so I have a lot of extra time to commit to something like this. It seems like it is geared towards med students and would be a good primer for Greenbergs.
I got pimped on gerstmann syndrome once on every rotation

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)