Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AOA
depends on the schools criteria for it. It isnt always pure grades
(12-12-2017, 06:22 AM)Focus Wrote: depends on the schools criteria for it. It isnt always pure grades

No but you have to be in the top 13% of those they'll consider. Meaning yeah you'll knock the kid above you out with a science or nejm pub but not it you're in the 25%. Only if you're at like 15% or mayyyyyyybe 20%
(12-12-2017, 03:29 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 06:22 AM)Focus Wrote: depends on the schools criteria for it. It isnt always pure grades

No but you have to be in the top 13% of those they'll consider. Meaning yeah you'll knock the kid above you out with a science or nejm pub but not it you're in the 25%. Only if you're at like 15% or mayyyyyyybe 20%
My school considered everyone in the top quartile for AOA on equal basis. I have participated in the discussion. Extraordinary acheivements were valued far more than all honor as long as you mostly had honors. Im not saying its like that everywhere, butbI am saying it is like that somewhere. Your school may be much more grade oriented.

Per the AOA charter on selection:

Those students chosen from the top quartile for election are picked not only for their high academic standing, but as well for leadership among their peers, professionalism and a firm sense of ethics, promise of future success in medicine, and a commitment to service in the school and community. By adherence to these criteria it has happened that one or more of the highest ranked students by grade point average have not been elected to the society
All sound very noble but unfortunately reality is:

Non-AOA + higher Step Score >> AOA + Lower Step

Non-AOA + High Ranking med school >> AOA + Low Ranking med school

Programs mostly pick candidates from bottom 75% of top programs over AOA members of low ranking programs
(12-12-2017, 05:54 PM)Guest Wrote: All sound very noble but unfortunately reality is:

Non-AOA + High Ranking med school >> AOA + Low Ranking  med school

Programs mostly pick candidates from bottom 75% of top programs  over AOA members of low ranking programs

yeh it's not compeltely true
(12-12-2017, 05:54 PM)Guest Wrote: All sound very noble but unfortunately reality is:

Programs mostly pick candidates from bottom 75% of top programs  over AOA members of low ranking programs

I agree. Don't forget that schools like Harvard and Stanford don't have AOA.
(12-13-2017, 09:26 AM)Guest Wrote:

I agree. Don't forget that schools like Harvard and Stanford don't have AOA.

They are the AOA of med schools though, so it evens out.
Most schools are top 25% to be eligible for AOA. There's usually a points system per category (0-5) for step score, grades, research, service, leadership, etc. Junior AOA usually involves more score and grade consideration than CV. Senior election is more about having a CV than being top 5 and having a 260. It varies a lot from school to school however.
FWIW when I review applications I definitely consider clinical grades, if I see AOA then it saves me time and I just put you in the good grades category
does it matter?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)