Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AOA
senior faculty at a place you have all heard of: grades dont mean much to us. even usmle scores are only useful for predicting board scores. they dont mean jack when it comes to picking out who will thrive in neurosurgery.
(01-23-2018, 02:17 AM)Guest Wrote: senior faculty at a place you have all heard of: grades dont mean much to us. even usmle scores are only useful for predicting board scores. they dont mean jack when it comes to picking out who will thrive in neurosurgery.

how do you decide who to give interviews to then?
Med student at a top 5 here. Our school publishes specialty-specific applicant data for previous matches and since 2001, matches appear to have about 50% AOA.. so doesn’t seem to be terrible important.
50% is a high number.
I didn’t think it was. The Derm, Optho, and ENTmatches have a higher percent AOA, which to me reads as for NSG it’s just not AS important as other competitive fields.
i wouldnpoint out that it may matter less if you are at a top 5 school.
(02-13-2018, 05:38 AM)Focus Wrote: i wouldnpoint out that it may matter less if you are at a top 5 school.

Right, which is why I thought to include that detail.
For schools that don't have AOA, how is the Gold Humanism Honors Society received?
(02-13-2018, 01:06 PM)Guest Wrote: For schools that don't have AOA, how is the Gold Humanism Honors Society received?

No one cares
My PD says GHHS>>>AOA; character > scores

AOA just means white privilege keeping medicine and surgical specialties an old white club

See below:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaint...ct/2607210

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)