Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mount Sinai vs Rush?
(12-25-2017, 12:48 PM)Guest Wrote: ^This. On what planet is Cornell in a different league? Super hands on attendings, low volume in pretty much every subspecialty (except maybe tumor). Residents basically shadow at MSK. Maybe for undergrad but not in neurosurgery.

Sad thing is these residents don't know any better and trink they're getting to do a lot if they get to hold the drill or put in sutures during closure.
Interviewed at both. Know both well through my own research and interest.

In my opinion it’s not even close. Sinai, seems like a lot of outatanding younger faculty (mocco, kellner, hadji) who have established themselves nationally, and with the old school chair are very complimentary. Visiting a bunch of the NY programs, you could def see the expansion and footprint Sinai has. Pretty impressive actually. Don’t think it’s hyperbole, but in nyc, Sinai is gonna be the neurosurgery brand name and whoever matches there will be real lucky. This isn’t just my assesment. It’s based on my conversations with a bunch of faculty/programs/people in the know, they all agreed. Again, i didn’t just make that assessment on my own. Not sure what the gender argument is, but the residents seem very chill and cool. Reasonable people who you’d hang out with outside of being colleagues.

At rush, you get the impression that they are selling you on being a blue collar program. Great volume, opportunity, but def not the vision and outlook that Sinai is pushing. I know dinners don’t mean anything, but I thought getting Chicago deep dish was a nice/creative touch and also is symbolic/ highlights the culture of the program. Nothing fancy, gets it done and satisfies everyone. Byrne and traynelis were great, really enjoyed talkin to them. The functional guy, Sani, little bit of a curveball, but nothing unreasonable. The No doubt its great training in one of America’s best cities.
Perhaps Im wrong but I was under the impression that Mocco was leaving.
(12-26-2017, 03:04 PM)Focus Wrote: Perhaps Im wrong but I was under the impression that Mocco was leaving.

No way. He has a really really good deal there in terms of his practice setup. He won't leave for anything less than a chairmanship at one of the top (academic) NY programs and it sounds like Cornell is gonna promote internally once Stieg hangs them up.
(12-26-2017, 12:07 PM)Guest Wrote: Interviewed at both. Know both well through my own research and interest.

In my opinion it’s not even close. Sinai, seems like a lot of outatanding younger faculty (mocco, kellner, hadji) who have established themselves nationally, and with the old school chair are very complimentary. Visiting a bunch of the NY programs, you could def see the expansion and footprint Sinai has. Pretty impressive actually. Don’t think it’s hyperbole, but in nyc, Sinai is gonna be the neurosurgery brand name and whoever matches there will be real lucky. This isn’t just my assesment. It’s based on my conversations with a bunch of faculty/programs/people in the know, they all agreed. Again, i didn’t just make that assessment on my own. Not sure what the gender argument is, but the residents seem very chill and cool. Reasonable people who you’d hang out with outside of being colleagues.

At rush, you get the impression that they are selling you on being a blue collar program. Great volume, opportunity, but def not the vision and outlook that Sinai is pushing. I know dinners don’t mean anything, but I thought getting Chicago deep dish was a nice/creative touch and also is symbolic/ highlights the culture of the program. Nothing fancy, gets it done and satisfies everyone. Byrne and traynelis were great, really enjoyed talkin to them. The functional guy, Sani, little bit of a curveball, but nothing unreasonable. The No doubt its great training in one of America’s best cities.

Sinai is a great NYC regional program but it is a great program in a greater pool of programs some of which like NYU and Columbia that have international status. Rapid expansion does not equal better training. and to say that they will achieve brand name status does not mean anything. McDonald's is arguably the biggest brand name in restaurants. But no one expects to become a great chef working and training at one. If Sinai is expanding their NSG so rapidly and not increasing their resident count, exactly who is going to be running around the city and outer boroughs taking call at all these locations?? spend a few months in the city and you will understand what that means.
(12-28-2017, 12:09 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 12:07 PM)Guest Wrote: Interviewed at both. Know both well through my own research and interest.

Sinai is a great NYC regional program but it is a great program in a greater pool of programs some of which like NYU and Columbia that have international status. Rapid expansion does not equal better training. and to say that they will achieve brand name status does not mean anything. McDonald's is arguably the biggest brand name in restaurants. But no one expects to become a great chef working and training at one. If Sinai is expanding their NSG so rapidly and not increasing their resident count, exactly who is going to be running around the city and outer boroughs taking call at all these locations?? spend a few months in the city and you will understand what that means.

I don't think anyone doubts that NYU is a top tier program, but the OP asked about RUSH vs Mount Sinai and for whatever reason everyone started talking about how great NYU and Columbia are. If you want to do anything except MIS I don't think there's any doubt that Sinai is stronger both clinically and in research.
You can always enjoy the severance package after getting fired from Columbia or NYU. They have entire class years that are empty

LMAO just LMAOOOO
At least Columbia is honest about it. From NYUs website they obfuscate to hide firings and you can't even tell what year their residents are.
stfu putin
I have seen rush residents opearate very independently during my rotation there, all very trained... their research has been picking up too.... becoming more academic in the recent years. 
All the attendings were great too. 

Im from midwest so can’t speak for mt sinai, but heard good things about them too

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)