Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case Western vs. Ohio State
(01-23-2018, 12:56 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 11:55 PM)Guest Wrote: The premier Case Western students going into neurosurgery prefer CCF to their home program. Facts.

And what makes you premier???  You did well on a multiple choice test that has a SE of 10 points, and where less than 5% of questions makes a 20 point difference.  Get a life kid.  Or is that you kissed the department's ass for a year to get a bunch of middle author publications.  You aren't premier, you are far from it.  To anyone else reading this, please stay humble.  Some of this are doing this for patients and it really irritates me to see pinheads like this.

Salty much?  Come on Dawg, this could've been you, had you played the game, endured the pain, secured the gain.  Could've  been you, should've put in the time, that 270 on the line, now you call ita crime.  Could've gotten the pubs, instead you n your crew look like scrubs.  Stop the hate. [Mic drop]
(01-23-2018, 12:56 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 11:55 PM)Guest Wrote: The premier Case Western students going into neurosurgery prefer CCF to their home program. Facts.

And what makes you premier???  You did well on a multiple choice test that has a SE of 10 points, and where less than 5% of questions makes a 20 point difference.  Get a life kid.  Or is that you kissed the department's ass for a year to get a bunch of middle author publications.  You aren't premier, you are far from it.  To anyone else reading this, please stay humble.  Some of this are doing this for patients and it really irritates me to see pinheads like this.

Preach
(01-21-2018, 09:20 PM)DGuest Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 08:24 PM)Guest Wrote: The residency at CCF is not on par with UH/Case Western or Ohio State. Really no discussion. Fellowships are a different story.

You're entitled to your own opinion but you'd be hard pressed to find people who support this. In the state of Ohio it is very clear that CCF> OSU> Cinci=CWRU in terms of neurosurgery residencies.

The institution (CWRU) sent more than 20 students into neurosurgery residency the last 3 years if you look at the match lists. I’d venture to say CWRU kept who they wanted from those classes if you look at the current residents who actually went to case med at each institution. I’d also venture to say that more of those students did an AI at UH/CWRU than Cleveland clinic. But of those who did, ask them how the experience was. Only way to know for sure.
AI=artificial intelligence?
(01-23-2018, 11:35 AM)Guest Wrote: AI=artificial intelligence?

Acting Internship
Case has a wayyy better medical student experience than CCF from what I understand. I'd rather read Greenberg than watch fellows do spine cases all day- but that's just me.
The medical student experience is good at both places, but better at Case. The department at Case is very supportive of students. It’s probably why they have so many applying to neurosurgery every year. Autonomy is greater at Case. The residents are fun at both institutions. The environment at Case is more relaxed, which in my opinion makes for better learning. The faculty at both institutions are well connected folks. Cleveland Clinic is better known for research but that’s not entirely true. Cleveland Clinic has arguably better clinical research. Basic science is better at Cleveland Clinic except for cancer research. Even then, there is so much overlap in research from both institutions that it’s not really valid to judge them separately. Cleveland Clinic researchers have strong collaborations with Case researchers. Residents from one institution can work with researchers in the other. As far as Case students preferring to rotate at Cleveland Clinic over case, false. That choice is personal and not entirely driven by the real vs perceived differences between the two institutions. Both places are great.
OP here. Based on resident autonomy and operative experience alone, how do Cleveland Clinic and Case compare with other high volume places (Barrow, Pitt, Emory, etc.)? Research is great, but I'm looking to go somewhere where I can operate as much as I can during residency
(01-21-2018, 09:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 08:24 PM)Guest Wrote: The residency at CCF is not on par with UH/Case Western or Ohio State. Really no discussion. Fellowships are a different story.

You're entitled to your own opinion but you'd be hard pressed to find people who support this. In the state of Ohio it is very clear that CCF> OSU> Cinci=CWRU in terms of neurosurgery residencies.

This is the most honest comment on this thread. Ask the medical students who rotated at both. Does UH/Case have a spine surgeon?  Case is a fine program but nothing close to Cleveland Clinic, either in reputations or clinical experience. Again ask those medical students who rotated or interviewed at both viewed at both, especially about the inaccurate CCF fellows argument.
Interested to hear a more detailed comparison of OSU vs Cinci. I know Cinci just went through a major faculty change but with Cheng and Prestigiacomo along with a few Mayfield guys they seem to compete with OSU

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)