Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buffalo vs Case Western
(01-26-2018, 07:53 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 04:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 06:18 PM)Original Poster Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 01:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Are you saying Case does more open than Buffalo?

That was my general impression? I know buffalo is very vascular heavy period, but the residents at Case talked up their open vascular % a lot. Since I have 0 desire to go into vascular it’s all kinda a moot point for me.
Buff is overall vascular heavy.  Open % doesn't matter when they're doing that many cases.

As someone else said: dont forget that Buffalo you have to do the enfolded fellowship to have access to their endovascular at all

This isn't true.  At interviews they said you rotate on that service as a Jr resident.
(01-26-2018, 08:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 07:53 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 04:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 06:18 PM)Original Poster Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 01:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Are you saying Case does more open than Buffalo?

That was my general impression? I know buffalo is very vascular heavy period, but the residents at Case talked up their open vascular % a lot. Since I have 0 desire to go into vascular it’s all kinda a moot point for me.
Buff is overall vascular heavy.  Open % doesn't matter when they're doing that many cases.

As someone else said: dont forget that Buffalo you have to do the enfolded fellowship to have access to their endovascular at all

This isn't true.  At interviews they said you rotate on that service as a Jr resident.

To do floorwork, sure.
(01-24-2018, 01:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Thoughts?

Both are in rust-belt-ish cities that have rebuilt around their medical center, affordable cities, super shitty winter vs shitty winter weather.

Buffalo known for endovascular/vascular and is building their overall reputation.
Case seems to do more open vascular / spine and has a slightly more established rep.

Overall they seem pretty similar?

They are pretty similar in that both have Neurosurgery residency programs. Buffalo is a good not quite great program. Case is far from that.
I think Case is a much more solid program overall
(05-28-2018, 11:00 PM)Guest Wrote: I think Case is a much more solid program overall

Thanks  Case resident.
(05-28-2018, 11:00 PM)Guest Wrote: I think Case is a much more solid program overall

Objectively, they both are solid programs with no gaps.  Case does not stand out in any way, but Buffalo does in vascular.
Case for sure. They do a great job of engaging students, you will probably get a good amount of autonomy, lots of program connections with places like BNI, just look at how well their med students match and you can deduce that solid weight is placed on letters from Case. Faculty and residents are abnormally nice.

No, I am not a Case resident, but I will admit that I am biased.
(06-01-2018, 04:12 AM)Guest Wrote: Case for sure. They do a great job of engaging students, you will probably get a good amount of autonomy, lots of program connections with places like BNI, just look at how well their med students match and you can deduce that solid weight is placed on letters from Case. Faculty and residents are abnormally nice.

No, I am not a Case resident, but I will admit that I am biased.

You are clearly delusional.  Buffalo and BNI have a direct pipeline for residents/fellows to be dual trained.

Medical student placement has no bearing on residency training ability of a program.  Look, nothing against.case, it's a swell program im sure.  It's just nothing special
"dual trained"? I rotated there and didn't see a fellow EVER scrubbed into an open case. Open vascular was all residents with Davies or Siddiqui

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)