Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Didn't match
(04-04-2018, 07:26 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 06:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 04:39 PM)Guest Wrote: There shouldnt be nepotism is neurosurgery. This isn't a lemonade stand. 

Yet there is plenty of it. Like going to dad's program when you have zero papers published.

Again, buddy...news FLASH no one cares about your publications.  I HAVE a HIGH STEP SCORE!  No ones cares if I published or not.  My high step score got me in, not connections.
People who have actually studied economics and game theory know there is a lot of randomness to the match algorithm and that this randomness increases as the number of spots per program decreases. The risk of random outcomes is highest for specialties like neurosurgery: if one applicant or one program changes its rank order by one, suddenly you match to your first choice and some other applicant winds up unmatched. The match algorithm is no longer widely used in economic modeling for this and for other reasons. Physicians and particularly neurosurgeons don't really have a good intuitive sense of how numbers work, and so you get a lot of malicious, uninformed, anonymous trolls on forums of questionable repute such as this one telling you its your personality. It's not. It's just one of many possible outcomes.
Somebody please correct me if I am completely offbase about this:

I was under the impression that due to the way the algorithm works, it doesn't matter if programs rank several applicants they are unlikely to get before applicants they are likely to get, the same way it does not matter if an applicant ranks Reach programs over safe programs.
I always found it strange that programs would invest a large amount of effort and time gauging your interest in their program with the So Why here? questions, rather than spending that time teasing out details of the applicant.
(04-05-2018, 09:17 AM)Guest Wrote: Somebody please correct me if I am completely offbase about this:

I was under the impression that due to the way the algorithm works, it doesn't matter if programs rank several applicants they are unlikely to get before applicants they are likely to get, the same way it does not matter if an applicant ranks Reach programs over safe programs.
I always found it strange that programs would invest a large amount of effort and time gauging your interest in their program with the So Why here? questions, rather than spending that time teasing out details of the applicant.

Completely agree with this. It's my personal opinion that program directors and the faculty who interview us don't understand how the algorithm works. They invite people who they think are more likely to be serious about moving to their program vs. the most competitive applicants that they would want. On top of that, like you mentioned, they ask if you're serious about going there over and over etc...
(04-05-2018, 01:37 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 04:39 PM)Guest Wrote: There shouldnt be nepotism is neurosurgery. This isn't a lemonade stand. 

Yet there is plenty of it. Like going to dad's program when you have zero papers published.

Again, buddy...news FLASH no one cares about your publications.  I HAVE a HIGH STEP SCORE!  No ones cares if I published or not.  My high step score got me in, not connections.
LOL defensive much? Were you one of the nepotism beneficiaries?
(04-05-2018, 11:21 AM)Guest Wrote:

this whole thread is embarassing to the field...
(04-05-2018, 01:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 07:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Yet there is plenty of it. Like going to dad's program when you have zero papers published.

Nepotism is embarrassing to the field.
biggest example arnau to BNI last year. that person can't run the floor and failed step 1 twice
(04-05-2018, 01:38 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 01:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 07:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Yet there is plenty of it. Like going to dad's program when you have zero papers published.

Nepotism is embarrassing to the field.

yea let's just keep throwing out bullshit accusations to make ourselves feel better
(04-05-2018, 02:32 PM)Guest Wrote: biggest example arnau to BNI last year. that person can't run the floor and failed step 1 twice

Actually?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)