Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1
Just took step.. practice scores were decent but kinda freaking out after sitting for the real deal. How low can my score dip before i should reconsider applying ns? Is it pretty much >240 or don't bother? I'm md/phd with >10 papers for what it's worth. I don't care about tier of residency etc.
Breathe - wait till your score gets back and then reevaluate. No point stressing out without knowing what the actual number is right now.
Low step 1 not a deal breaker. Anything above 220 is workable. Anything above 210 is ok if you are really solid. Anything above 200 is ok if you are on all star.
(06-25-2018, 07:51 PM)Guest Wrote: Low step 1 not a deal breaker.  Anything above 220 is workable. Anything above 210 is ok if you are really solid. Anything above 200 is ok if you are on all star.

Is this because of the MD/PhD?
(06-25-2018, 07:51 PM)Guest Wrote: Low step 1 not a deal breaker.  Anything above 220 is workable. Anything above 210 is ok if you are really solid. Anything above 200 is ok if you are on all star.

You mean: "anything above 200 is ok if you're a Rhodes Scholar and NFL player"?

Realistically, with an MD/PhD and a bunch of pubs anything above a 230 is fine. The problem with <240 is you'll get screened out by some programs, which can be resolved by having a mentor call specific programs you're interested in if you're worried about that.

220-230 you should still be fine, but it'd be a little more questionable. <220 you're probably still ok for lower quality programs, but i'd talk to the chair/PD to evaluate.
2 people here have said anything above a 220 is workable, as someone who got a 225 can you give me a little more clarity on how to go about "working it"

Thanks!
I really don't agree that above a 220 is workable - maybe if you have obvious connections or matched in year before last. I know plenty of people above 240 who didn't match last year. Not saying to give up, but don't be optimistic.
(08-24-2018, 08:09 AM)Guest Wrote: I really don't agree that above a 220 is workable - maybe if you have obvious connections or matched in year before last. I know plenty of people above 240 who didn't match last year. Not saying to give up, but don't be optimistic.

only 20 people over 240-250 didnt match
(08-24-2018, 08:09 AM)Guest Wrote: I really don't agree that above a 220 is workable - maybe if you have obvious connections or matched in year before last. I know plenty of people above 240 who didn't match last year. Not saying to give up, but don't be optimistic.

I agree. People are probably just trying to make themselves feel better. My roommate at a top 10 school last year had a 234 and 7 pubs with great letters and he got like 8 interviews (passed up by most top programs except our home school). The average score among matched applicants was 250 2 years ago and 245 this past year. If you went to your ortho/plastics/ENT/uro advisor with a 220 they'd tell you to find a different field. This whole "step 1 score doesn't really matter as long as you have research" thing hasn't been true for like 3-5 years but a lot of current residents/junior faculty serving as advisors who matched back then don't realize this. Of course there are exceptions but this certainly isn't the norm.
(08-24-2018, 06:30 PM)IGuest Wrote:

I agree. People are probably just trying to make themselves feel better. My roommate at a top 10 school last year had a 234 and 7 pubs with great letters and he got like 8 interviews (passed up by most top programs except our home school). The average score among matched applicants was 250 2 years ago and 245 this past year. If you went to your ortho/plastics/ENT/uro advisor with a 220 they'd tell you to find a different field. This whole "step 1 score doesn't really matter as long as you have research" thing hasn't been true for like 3-5 years but a lot of current residents/junior faculty serving as advisors who matched back then don't realize this. Of course there are exceptions but this certainly isn't the norm.

Thank you for this. People need to be realistic.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)