Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USMLE Step 1 now pass/fail
(03-02-2020, 05:29 PM)Guest Wrote: So I'm enrolling in MD-PhD this coming year at a new school. Do you think that the PhD would give me an edge in the residency process? I already have 7 pubs, but I'm looking to do a lot more during grad school. Since my school won't be ranked by the time I graduate & match, how much would this hurt my application?

Will you be the first graduating class? Is there an associated residency program?
I'm a current class of 2022 and I am considering a gap year to do more neurosurgical research. Unfortunately that means I graduate in the class of 2023 and there's a chance that my step score will be masked as a pass when we submit our application.
Just pay the 70$ now for an official paper score report and upload it as an additional doc later
(06-23-2020, 06:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Just pay the 70$ now for an official paper score report and upload it as an additional doc later

To be honest, it's worth a shot and I might do that. USMLE should be announcing their decision regarding the masking of 3-digit scores to P/F "in the coming months". I will probably make my decision as to whether or not I do a gap year probably in that same timeframe, a couple of months.
(06-25-2020, 06:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 06:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Just pay the 70$ now for an official paper score report and upload it as an additional doc later

To be honest, it's worth a shot and I might do that. USMLE should be announcing their decision regarding the masking of 3-digit scores to P/F "in the coming months". I will probably make my decision as to whether or not I do a gap year probably in that same timeframe, a couple of months.

my understanding is that those who take STEP1 prior to jan 2022 will have their score reported as three digit number, not P/F
(06-26-2020, 10:45 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 06:44 PM)Guest Wrote:

my understanding is that those who take STEP1 prior to jan 2022 will have their score reported as three digit number, not P/F

Yes that's true. If you take it before Jan 2022, the score you will receive 3-4 weeks after your exam will be a 3-digit-score. The issue is that they will possibly convert that numeric score into a Pass / Fail when you submit your ERAS. This is possibly in an attempt so that the 2023 Match won't have applicants with a Pass being compared to those with a numeric score in the same cycle and henceforth. This is their current position, copy and pasted from https://www.usmle.org/usmlescoring/faq.html :

If I received a 3-digit score on my Step 1 examination, will my 3-digit score be visible on paper and ERAS transcripts after Step 1 outcomes are reported as pass/fail?
The USMLE program has not yet determined how the policy change will impact score reports and transcripts. We expect to share additional information in the coming months. As additional details become available, updates will be posted to the USMLE website and social media.
in terms of research, what if research is not neurosurgery-related?
All scores for Step 1 exams taken prior to the date of the policy change will continue to be reported using the three-digit numeric score on all USMLE transcripts. The USMLE program does not retroactively alter transcripts.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)