Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Impressive / Least Impressive
(02-11-2021, 03:42 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 02:06 AM)Guest Wrote: Mayo (Rochester) is a hot commodity this year. Anyone notice the recent temperature in Rochester and freak out a little?

Wonder why it is the commodity this year compared to last year?

Because nobody had to interview in Rochester when it was -15...but IMO that means people are actually seeing the program for its merits versus getting dissuaded by the one negative (the winter weather).
OSU is a good outfit
[img=480x1039]https://i.postimg.cc/sfCTtTtg/IMG-0809.png?dl=1[/img]

OOF
(02-11-2021, 06:50 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:42 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 02:06 AM)Guest Wrote: Mayo (Rochester) is a hot commodity this year. Anyone notice the recent temperature in Rochester and freak out a little?

Wonder why it is the commodity this year compared to last year?

Because nobody had to interview in Rochester when it was -15...but IMO that means people are actually seeing the program for its merits versus getting dissuaded by the one negative (the winter weather).

To be honest, I interviewed last year and it was just as popular. People just talked about it in person and we didn't have the rank tally thing.
To be honest, I interviewed last year and it was just as popular. People just talked about it in person and we didn't have the rank tally thing.
Mayo is always a popular program, but I disagree with poo pooing the weather. It isn't pleasant shoveling yourself out in zero degree weather. Make sure to buy a snow blower if you don't live in a complex.
(02-11-2021, 09:52 PM)Focus Wrote: Mayo is always a popular program, but I disagree with poo pooing the weather. It isn't pleasant shoveling yourself out in zero degree weather. Make sure to buy a snow blower if you don't live in a complex.

Yeah it's not like weather is not a legitimate consideration. Adding digging yourself out of the snow in the cold to your list of things to do extremely early in the morning can be a challenge
Northwestern is out there dominating it with recent hires.

Big name from MD Anderson + recent UCSF grad in skull base.
(02-11-2021, 10:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 09:52 PM)Focus Wrote: Mayo is always a popular program, but I disagree with poo pooing the weather. It isn't pleasant shoveling yourself out in zero degree weather. Make sure to buy a snow blower if you don't live in a complex.

Yeah it's not like weather is not a legitimate consideration. Adding digging yourself out of the snow in the cold to your list of things to do extremely early in the morning can be a challenge

As someone who grew up in northern Michigan but now lives on the east coast, I think this is a little overblown. With the 2 nor'easters that we've gotten, I've probably had to shovel more snow than my family back home. I do agree that it's on average colder in the midwest, but quite honestly there isn't that big of a difference in terms of the things you can do if it's -10 outside vs 10. You're still not going out running. Now if you're from Florida or somewhere actually warm then that's a different story.
(02-11-2021, 11:33 PM)Guest Wrote: Northwestern is out there dominating it with recent hires.

Big name from MD Anderson + recent UCSF grad in skull base.

Great tumor program. Must be a top 5 program for that based on hires and SPORE, but it doesn’t matter much if your residents don’t operate. From the interview it seemed like they’re working on this, but their descriptions of what they do in the OR were worrisome

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)