Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottom 10 programs
(09-13-2021, 08:03 AM)Guest Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 04:31 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 03:30 PM)Guest Wrote: I wonder why Abdulrauf stepped down? Was it related to any scandal? My interactions with this guy were extremely negative (sexual harassment) but I didn’t take any legal steps at the time because I was just another neurosurgery applicant, and he was a Chair. Talked to my mentor at the time and explained the whole story and was asked to move on, avoid him and not apply at SLU.

What happened

I also heard it was sexual harassment from multiple close sources. 
Also SLU did peripheral nerve at Wash U (at least they used to) and they have like one true spine surgeon. They not even the second biggest neurosurgery department in their city.

They used to do that 7-8 years ago but they don’t anymore last I checked. From what I hear, residents have plenty of peripheral nerve and complex spine now and are inundated. They have postings for 2 pure spine surgeons. Lots of take overs happening and things moving around in the city. Interesting point though, what other neurosurgery departments are there in St Louis besides Wash U?
(08-29-2021, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Feeling may get hurt but Mizzou, SLU, Louisville, Mississippi, Beaumont, MSU, Arizona, UTMB, VTech, SIU.

Isn't VTech a DO program...does that even count? What's the scoop on SIU and Beaumont?

(09-13-2021, 02:48 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 08:03 AM)Guest Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 04:31 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 03:30 PM)Guest Wrote: I wonder why Abdulrauf stepped down? Was it related to any scandal? My interactions with this guy were extremely negative (sexual harassment) but I didn’t take any legal steps at the time because I was just another neurosurgery applicant, and he was a Chair. Talked to my mentor at the time and explained the whole story and was asked to move on, avoid him and not apply at SLU.

What happened

I also heard it was sexual harassment from multiple close sources. 
Also SLU did peripheral nerve at Wash U (at least they used to) and they have like one true spine surgeon. They not even the second biggest neurosurgery department in their city.

They used to do that 7-8 years ago but they don’t anymore last I checked. From what I hear, residents have plenty of peripheral nerve and complex spine now and are inundated. They have postings for 2 pure spine surgeons. Lots of take overs happening and things moving around in the city. Interesting point though, what other neurosurgery departments are there in St Louis besides Wash U?

Private practice has a big draw and would be a barrier for continued expansion.
(09-13-2021, 07:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Feeling may get hurt but Mizzou, SLU, Louisville, Mississippi, Beaumont, MSU, Arizona, UTMB, VTech, SIU.

Isn't VTech a DO program...does that even count? What's the scoop on SIU and Beaumont?

Not sure about Beaumont but SIU has ever dwindling faculty of only general neurosurgeons that don’t care about their residents education or well being. Poor leadership and little social atmosphere in Springfield help sink it.
Barrow declining since uribe and Lawton leaving
(09-25-2021, 04:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Barrow declining since uribe and Lawton leaving

u sound like a very bitter evil man. they are going nowhere. however, barrow might not be able to compete with mayo in long run. mayo az is keeping them up at night. mayo az is building a top-notch residency program with class research facilities. can't compete with the mayo name. 

lawson and spetzler on suicide watch!
(09-25-2021, 11:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 04:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Barrow declining since uribe and Lawton leaving

u sound like a very bitter evil man. they are going nowhere. however, barrow might not be able to compete with mayo in long run. mayo az is keeping them up at night. mayo az is building a top-notch residency program with class research facilities. can't compete with the mayo name. 

lol, Mayo Arizona has 3 residents and 2 are foreign grad... I don't think the BNI is sweating
(09-27-2021, 02:15 PM)Guest Wrote:

lol, Mayo Arizona has 3 residents and 2 are foreign grad... I don't think the BNI is sweating

I think the above post was in jest.

But on a serious note, Mayo Arizona growing will likely have zero effect on the BNI. One, because the BNI's practice is largely elective, with most not from the Phoenix area. And two, because Phoenix is one of the top 5 largest cities in the country! There's more than enough volume to go around. Philadelphia is smaller and is able to support 2 large high volume programs and 2 smaller programs. 

There is potential for Mayo AZ to build a really nice program- large patient population, part of a larger institution that can provide research support, dynamic young leaders as faculty, history of robust NP support which means scut is taken care of prior to residents being added. The opportunity to get in now on the ground floor if you're an average to below-average applicant is great, before it becomes competitive like the Carolinas has. That being said if i was a top applicant i would avoid simply based off of uncertainty and lack of proven history.
(09-27-2021, 02:53 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-27-2021, 02:15 PM)Guest Wrote:

I think the above post was in jest.

But on a serious note, Mayo Arizona growing will likely have zero effect on the BNI. One, because the BNI's practice is largely elective, with most not from the Phoenix area. And two, because Phoenix is one of the top 5 largest cities in the country! There's more than enough volume to go around. Philadelphia is smaller and is able to support 2 large high volume programs and 2 smaller programs. 

There is potential for Mayo AZ to build a really nice program- large patient population, part of a larger institution that can provide research support, dynamic young leaders as faculty, history of robust NP support which means scut is taken care of prior to residents being added. The opportunity to get in now on the ground floor if you're an average to below-average applicant is great, before it becomes competitive like the Carolinas has. That being said if i was a top applicant i would avoid simply based off of uncertainty and lack of proven history.

what is your opinion on Bendok? he is leading the residency and department.
I heard barrow and Mayo Arizona were getting merged, since barrow has so many ACGME citations and faculty loss

They are not going anywhere.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)