Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Program
(01-20-2022, 04:59 PM)Guest Wrote: I thought USF and Memphis were awesome

What did you like about USF?
Thought the faculty was great. Very invested in their training program and cared about finding the best fit. Residents seemed like a good group, and they have solid research opportunities for those who want that. I might be biased because I'm into SB and Van Loveren is a legend in the field, but I wouldn't want to match there just for that so I tried to make sure everything else about it is also solid. Would love to hear more about it, just my interview experience.
Oklahoma was very good. Chiefs were graduating with >2k cases and were getting nice fellowships. Dunn is ambitious and would be a great boss to have for 7 years. Residents seemed happy with the training and the location was solid (OKC is an affordable mid-size city).
(01-11-2022, 08:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 07:45 PM)Guest Wrote: If u tell anyone u are trailing at Wisconsin or Indiana no one says WOW. They will say, wow, congrats or good but it never inspires admiration.

If you train at like Yale or brown or Harvard or or Dartmouth or Mayo literally everyone says WOW, even though some of those are not very good programs. So they say WOW you are at Yale for neurosurgery. I know a genius who went to Yale for college or law, and you being at Yale for neurosurgery u must be even smarter than him!! Same for Dartmouth and brown.

So that’s a big factor also.

Give me 7 years of training with Dempsey, Resnick and Baskaya over impressing random laymen with Ivy League names anyday.

Low-tier places like Wisconsin or Indiana will pay 7 figure salaries to select surgeons to boost their otherwise horrible reputation. 

However, the entire culture of low-tier places is bad. They are filled with people who sabotage. Sabotage is a very real thing and happens a lot especially at the low-ranked places. you are unlikely to get sabotaged at Yale or Harvard or Columbia or Mayo because they have a much better infrastructure.
and again we found the ignorant troll or high-schooler. Can't you just stay away from serious discussions? For real though. Like you might get aroused from this but why man? Can't you just let people be?
Sounds like someone is mad they didn’t match at Wisconsin or Indiana
Nothing wrong with warning about sabotage. I've read stories about 6th year residents who were unfairly targeted and then fired. This is very scary. If you end up at a malignant program your life will be hell. Very scary stuff.
We’ve all heard stories, gossip queen
(01-20-2022, 11:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Oklahoma was very good. Chiefs were graduating with >2k cases and were getting nice fellowships. Dunn is ambitious and would be a great boss to have for 7 years. Residents seemed happy with the training and the location was solid (OKC is an affordable mid-size city).

I agree with this. Went into the interview not expecting much but came away planning on ranking it highly if not #1. I was very fortunate to interview at some of the top 10 ranked programs too, so it’s not as if I’m settling. Residents were close and apparently competent. Dunn has created a powerhouse faculty with diversity of training at some of the most prestigious institutions (BNI, UCSF, Mayo, Harvard, Miami, Duke, UCLA) etc. It’s not for everyone, but I think being able to train at a smaller program more closely with current/rising stars beats training at a huge program with dozens of fellows and established faculty that have passed the phase of their career where mentorship/teaching excites them.
(01-20-2022, 11:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Oklahoma was very good. Chiefs were graduating with >2k cases and were getting nice fellowships. Dunn is ambitious and would be a great boss to have for 7 years. Residents seemed happy with the training and the location was solid (OKC is an affordable mid-size city).

Dunn is great. I wouldn’t expect him to stay at Oklahoma for 7 years though

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)