Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chairs Shuffling
Good surgeon but not a Gamma Knife expert like Lunsford
You mean to tell us that the guy who’s 30 years younger and wasn’t trained by Leksell himself isn’t as good? Hadjipanis is a great addition to Pitt. There’s hardly anyone out there who’s as good as Lunsford in terms of GK so I don’t get what you’re trying to say
(08-02-2022, 03:05 PM)Guest Wrote: You mean to tell us that the guy who’s 30 years younger and wasn’t trained by Leksell himself isn’t as good? Hadjipanis is a great addition to Pitt. There’s hardly anyone out there who’s as good as Lunsford in terms of GK so I don’t get what you’re trying to say

What exactly do you mean "great at GK"? As in advancing the field in research? Or putting a frame on? Just sayin'
(08-02-2022, 03:05 PM)Guest Wrote: You mean to tell us that the guy who’s 30 years younger and wasn’t trained by Leksell himself isn’t as good? Hadjipanis is a great addition to Pitt. There’s hardly anyone out there who’s as good as Lunsford in terms of GK so I don’t get what you’re trying to say

Actually Doug Kondziolka is the actual mastermind behind all of the GK revolution at Pitt. To me, Pitt is no more of a GK and endoscopic endonasal program. Costas H. has not added much to the field- barely started using 5-ALA after the European folks. His lab has not produced anything significant at Emory. Then Sinai started to give away "site chair" titles and hire people right and left so he moved there and got promoted to full professor.
(07-27-2022, 08:51 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 08:14 AM)Guest Wrote: Because Q can't get a small Mayo-backed program running without dropping residents left and right. Plus he's too controversial. I hope it won't be him, it seems like all he does is for his own sake and that he'd use Hopkins to further promote himself.
Theodore seems like a good leader and a solid fit, but might be too old for the Hopkins way of giving chairs 10-20 years. I have my money on Bettagowda or Woodworth to continue the Hunterian basic science legacy.

For USC, Zada is great but it might be a bit too early for him. Mike Wang would be a superb fit. Certainly a character, but seems to be a great leader and very passionate about the program and neurosurgical education

How is he too controversial ? He's a great neurosurgeon and life story with an amazing life story who would be a great fit for chair at JHU. Maybe he might help them regain their reputation

There is a reason why 3 residents left under his leadership. "Controversial" is putting it nicely.
Yeah, it's not just the residents leaving. I've seen so many attendings and multiple students in the past years make a weird face and avoid the conversation once he's mentioned. I don't want this to sound like a weird rumor heard somewhere, which is common practice in this forum, but there's something controversial about him. There's a Q in the media, we all know he knows how to play that game, but there's also apparently a Q in the day-to-day hospital and lab that must be different. I mean, the Nature piece on working his lab like a sweatshop is how this man started his career ... I have nothing against a leader that works tirelessly and has a strong work ethic that is also expected of his team, neurosurgery has plenty of those people, but apparently things go beyond that.
My 2 cents from the sidelines. I would love to hear from people who have worked with him - even the good things - but just shed some light on this because everyone behaves shady when talking about him
(08-02-2022, 06:16 PM)Guest Wrote:

Actually Doug Kondziolka is the actual mastermind behind all of the GK revolution at Pitt. To me, Pitt is no more of a GK and endoscopic endonasal program. Costas H. has not added much to the field- barely started using 5-ALA after the European folks. His lab has not produced anything significant at Emory. Then Sinai started to give away "site chair" titles and hire people right and left so he moved there and got promoted to full professor.

It will be impossible to fill Lunsford's shoes.  

Kondziolka contributed to the success but so did Lunsford.  It was a partnership that worked well.

The GK revolution is occurring at other places than Pitt now.
Paul Park leaving Michigan for Tenn

https://twitter.com/SemmesMurphey/status...9220277252
(08-08-2022, 09:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Paul Park leaving Michigan for Tenn

Is he chair now?
Who is left for spine at Michigan?
(08-08-2022, 09:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 09:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Paul Park leaving Michigan for Tenn

Is he chair now?
Who is left for spine at Michigan?

Adam Arthur was just named chair. I'm guessing he was given Foley's spot as head of spine division, maybe Vice Chair

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)