Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiers 2017
(11-07-2017, 08:20 AM)Guest Wrote: I hope the interview trail has been treating all of you well. I am wondering if anyone has rotated or done a sub-I at Ohio state and what their thoughts about the program are. Would appreciate any feedback I can get as i did not see their program listed on any of the previous posts.

I did a sub-I there. Comparing what I know about the other programs listed I would probably put OSU as Tier 1 or 2. Ridiculous Case volume and borderline unsafe autonomy, great group of residents lot of fun. Could have more academics, that being said multiple attendings have there own labs and funding so there are ample opportunities to get involved. Columbus is a pretty cool city too. Nice mix of city life and out doorsy activities
(11-07-2017, 08:20 AM)Guest Wrote: I hope the interview trail has been treating all of you well. I am wondering if anyone has rotated or done a sub-I at Ohio state and what their thoughts about the program are. Would appreciate any feedback I can get as i did not see their program listed on any of the previous posts.

Solid program with a bright future. Good operative experience strong in all sub-specialties. Trajectory looked a bit better when they had Rezai since he has an insane amount of funding. The loss of Governale to UF was also a hit.
Your tier'ing system is awful.  I suspect a medical student must have made up those tiers.  Stanford, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia should not be anywhere in the top 2.  UCSD does not belong in the 4th tier.  How did UCI get into the 2nd tier? Darmouth and Brown were higher than they should be. 

Fixed it for you here:

1. UCSF, Barrow, Pitt, UCLA, Duke, NYU, Cleveland Clinic, Michigan, UVA

2. Brigham, Mayo Clinic, MGH, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, Emory, Jefferson, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, Utah, Carolinas, Baylor, USC, Miami, Rush, Florida, Indiana, U Wash, OHSU, UCSD, Penn

3. Columbia, VCU, UNC, U Chicago, Buffalo, Georgetown, Maryland, NIH, Wake Forest, Washington, St. Louis, Cornell, Stanford, Tufts, Wisconsin, USF

4. Albany, Kentucky, Inova, UT Houston, Tenessee, UI Chicago, Rutgers, Iowa, MUSC, Kentucky, George Washington

5. Temple, Nebraska, SUNY Upstate, Oklahoma, Einstein, Alabama, Mississippi, UI Peoria, Allegheny, New Mexico, Geisinger, West Virginia, Wayne State, Houston Methodist, St. Louis, NYMC, UC Irvine, Rochester, Dartmouth, Brown, Beth Israel, Mayo Jacksonville, Mount Sinai, Minnesota, Yale, Penn State, Vermont, LSU, Henry Ford, Hofstra

6. Tulane, Medical College of Wisconsin, LSU Shreveport, Scott and White, UT Galveston, Louisville, Arizona, Missouri, Cincinnati, Medical College of Georgia, Puerto Rico
As a 3rd year medical student, i used to think this really mattered. What really matters is finding a good fit regardless of where a program is ranked, so I hope junior medical students dont stress too much about going to “top tier”.

Having said that, this is still pretty fun. Where is Arkansas?
(11-13-2017, 02:44 PM)TIERS Wrote: Your tier'ing system is awful.  I suspect a medical student must have made up those tiers.  Stanford, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia should not be anywhere in the top 2.  UCSD does not belong in the 4th tier.  How did UCI get into the 2nd tier? Darmouth and Brown were higher than they should be. 

Fixed it for you here:

2. Brigham, Mayo Clinic, MGH, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, Emory, Jefferson, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, Utah, Carolinas, Baylor, USC, Miami, Rush, Florida, Indiana, U Wash, OHSU, UCSD, Penn

3. Columbia, VCU, UNC, U Chicago, Buffalo, Georgetown, Maryland, NIH, Wake Forest, Washington, St. Louis, Cornell, Stanford, Tufts, Wisconsin, USF

4. Albany, Kentucky, Inova, UT Houston, Tenessee, UI Chicago, Rutgers, Iowa, MUSC, Kentucky, George Washington

5. Temple, Nebraska, SUNY Upstate, Oklahoma, Einstein, Alabama, Mississippi, UI Peoria, Allegheny, New Mexico, Geisinger, West Virginia, Wayne State, Houston Methodist, St. Louis, NYMC, UC Irvine, Rochester, Dartmouth, Brown, Beth Israel, Mayo Jacksonville, Mount Sinai, Minnesota, Yale, Penn State, Vermont, LSU, Henry Ford, Hofstra

6. Tulane, Medical College of Wisconsin, LSU Shreveport, Scott and White, UT Galveston, Louisville, Arizona, Missouri, Cincinnati, Medical College of Georgia, Puerto Rico

Yes, I am a medical student. Is it really "awful"? I just wanted other people's perspective, and wanted to see how different it was from what I had been told by other students, by residents, and (not really) by faculty. Thanks for your feedback.

Why should Stanford, Tufts, Cornell, and Columbia be lower by the way? Volume/variety of cases due to competition in these areas?
(11-13-2017, 03:56 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 02:44 PM)TIERS Wrote: Your tier'ing system is awful.  I suspect a medical student must have made up those tiers.  Stanford, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia should not be anywhere in the top 2.  UCSD does not belong in the 4th tier.  How did UCI get into the 2nd tier? Darmouth and Brown were higher than they should be. 

Fixed it for you here:

Yes, I am a medical student. Is it really "awful"? I just wanted other people's perspective, and wanted to see how different it was from what I had been told by other students, by residents, and (not really) by faculty. Thanks for your feedback.

Why should Stanford, Tufts, Cornell, and Columbia be lower by the way? Volume/variety of cases due to competition in these areas?

Yes, volume and autonomy is low at these places.

I'd take UVA, Duke, and Michigan down one or two notches; UCLA and OHSU down two notches; U Chicago down two notches; MGH, Brigham, and Carolinas down one; Beth Israel down one; Wayne and Brown down one.  Move Minnesota up one; move Wash U and Buffalo up one.  Otherwise, not bad.
(11-13-2017, 09:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 03:56 PM)Guest Wrote:

Fixed it for you here:

Yes, volume and autonomy is low at these places.

I'd take UVA, Duke, and Michigan down one or two notches; UCLA and OHSU down two notches; U Chicago down two notches; MGH, Brigham, and Carolinas down one; Beth Israel down one; Wayne and Brown down one.  Move Minnesota up one; move Wash U and Buffalo up one.  Otherwise, not bad.

UVA and UMich tier 1 neurosurgery programs? Is this the early 2000s? Mayo and MGH are top tier, and not just because of the name.
I just want to match and help out people in need. Couldn't care less how high a program's average Step 1 score is or how prestigious sounding their name is.
Interested as to why Medical College of Wisconsin and Cincinnati are in the bottom tier?
(11-14-2017, 07:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Interested as to why Medical College of Wisconsin and Cincinnati are in the bottom tier?

I believe they are both on probation.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)